Wheel speed sensors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kerrie

Reaction score
I'm back with these dang sensors.

I replaced the battery a couple weeks back, thought that took care of the problem. Then all my abs stuff went out again. I was able to get it hooked up to a real computer and it's saying front and rear driver's side speed sensors are out.

I can easily find the rear sensor on atlantic british and autohaus az (good prices too), but I'm not finding the front one I need, unless I go through the dealer and it's about $100. I don't mind paying that, but if I can get them for less from elsewhere (like the rear sensor), I'd like to do that!

The guys from JC's British said to check the wheel bearings, that those could throw the same codes, but those seem fine.

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Seems an unlikely coincidence that two wheel sensors go out together. But maybe it’s easier to change them out than to test them?

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
just realized this relates back to your old thread. in the future, maybe try posting in the same thread so that people know the history of the problem.
https://www.landroverworld.org/thre...stmas-tree-after-driving-in-snow.42518/page-3

anyway, since this maybe physical damage, and your previous post says you "cleaned out the sensors".....

what did you clean the hole and sensor with? abs sensors are very fragile. if you left any debris in the hole or cleaned with a bad chemical, you may have damaged the old ones.

did you check the wiring and harness that the sensor plugs into?

Kerrie

Reaction score
Seems an unlikely coincidence that two wheel sensors go out together. But maybe it’s easier to change them out than to test them?

Both sensors are coming up on the computer, so I'm just going to replace both. The tech did say that it was weird too, but since I'll already be down there, may as well do both.

But I figured, because of all the mud, snow, and ice I have to drive through, maybe they both really did go out?

Kerrie

Reaction score
just realized this relates back to your old thread. in the future, maybe try posting in the same thread so that people know the history of the problem.
https://www.landroverworld.org/thre...stmas-tree-after-driving-in-snow.42518/page-3

anyway, since this maybe physical damage, and your previous post says you "cleaned out the sensors".....

what did you clean the hole and sensor with? abs sensors are very fragile. if you left any debris in the hole or cleaned with a bad chemical, you may have damaged the old ones.

did you check the wiring and harness that the sensor plugs into?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'll do that next time and keep it on the same thread.

I cleaned out where I could reach with a rag and some water. I also took it to a manual car wash to clean off the frozen mud that caked up behind the wheels.

There was a LOT of mud up there. If these things are that fragile, I'm not surprised if they really are damaged. The garage is heated so everything under thaws out, but we haven't been above freezing in months (Steamboat Springs, CO) so it all refreezes. Plus all the snow, ice and muddy dirt roads I have to drive on to get home....

Thanks for the links! Parts on the way!

jlglr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn’t think snow or mud would affect those sensors too much, but maybe I’m wrong. Things with metal will definitely affect them (e.g., axle grease contaminated with metal shavings or brake dust (from metallic pads or discs).

I hope the replacement fixes the problem (or at least helps you figure out what else might be going on). Keep us informed.

Kerrie

Reaction score
Just got both sensors replaced and took a couple of long test drives, everything seems back to normal! When I got the front fender flare off, I'm not surprised the sensors went out. There was a good amount of dried mud everywhere and that was after a few good washings! Most of my driving is on dirt roads and it was really dry last summer and fall and unusually muddy this winter with lots of melts and refreezing.

I'll keep my fingers crossed this is a good fix and there's not something else lurking inside my car!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9