Which code reader to buy?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Faultmate Genesis

Below is a link to something that does not quite exist yet, or more correctly, is still in Beta and is very much more than a code reader.

The idea is that you purchase a license that provides some software and you also obtain a proprietary cable that connects between the vehicle OBD port and for example, your laptop. You then have your laptop connected to the internet via a Cat5 cable or perhaps WiFi - does not matter as long as you have a fairly fast internet connection.

If you know how Faultmate software works for a specific operation, you access the BlackBox site and do the whatever yourself, probably for an additional single use once only software fee.

This is what the beta is all about I gather - for the most part the system works hardware wise; the question is how to bill fairly.

Alternatively, and this is what I like, one can instead connect with a LR3/D3 guru who does know how the Faultmate software works and has the multi-vehicle all software license and just pay them to do the whatever.

For me, this sounds great as I think actually making changes to the Car Configuration File, (CCF), is only easy if you know what you are doing. As with all this computer stuff, there is a learning curve. Plug and play is a term commonly used by the seller, bleeding edge is more common with the user.

http://www.**************/forum/topic73436.html

Insert disco3 co uk where the ***** is and put a period in each of the two blank spaces.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about getting the Hawkeye for codes and such ($650 at AB) and the EAS Control Tool ($400 from AB) for obvious purpose of finessing the suspension height.

Ideas anyone?

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
jwest, have you looked into the IIDTool, from the same guys who manufacture EAS Control (GAP Diagnostic)? All the features of EAS Control are built in, plus you get a very competent and upgradeable diagnostic tool, in a box no larger than a pack of cigarettes. http://gap-diagnostic.com/

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Do you know anyone who has it and if it also allows "nav in motion" ? I don't see any pricing.

stmcknig

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In order to enable nav in motion I believe a couple of firmware files need to be updated on the LR and I think that is currently out of scope for the IID tool.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've used IIDTool on my 2006 RRS since it came out, currently beta testing the version for 2010+ RRS and LR4 (should be out in a matter of 2-3 weeks, and will include really cool new features such as Bluetooth interface.) I think it's a fantastic tool because it does just about anything you really need a diagnostic and troubleshooting tool to do, and for the price it's a real bargain. IIDTool s/b around $500 or less, AB is definitely on the high end of the price spectrum for these modules and you should contact Britpart for a complete listing of US distributors, I think you can do a lot better on price. Example: http://www.lucky8llc.com/Products.aspx?ProductID=7618

I also own a Faultmate MSV-2 Extreme, which overall is definitely more capable than IIDTool, but not by as much as one may think. The Faultmate is a big commitment to lug around all the time, it easily fills a briefcase once you carry the near-mandatory laptop and interface cables, it takes a good bit of time to set up, understand and master, and costs 3-4 times as much. The IIDTool is up and running in 10 seconds flat - it takes longer for my laptop to boot up than it does to run a full diagnostic session with IIDTool, lol - a kid could navigate its menus, and I just toss it in my glove box after I unplug it, so it's always with me (and it's got all the capabilities of EAS Control baked in.) Those reasons alone make it very valuable to me, even though it may lack some of the more esoteric capabilities of the competition.

And, FWIW, when I tried I couldn't get navigation on the move to work with Faultmate on my 2006 Sport, either. I would have had to purchase a more recent nav disc to start, then download this and update that firmware, with no guarantees it would work in the end, so I kind of gave up. Fortunately my new LR4 doesn't have that issue anymore. :biggrin:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635