Whimp Warning - How do people get there spare on/off their roof rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Man invented pulleys and ropes for a reason. Get clever man, screw the hard work!!

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have actually been thinking about that. I use a block and tackle system to stack my off season wheels in the garage. Haven't yet thought of a clever way to create a system on my Yakima roof rack. But I'm giving it some thought. Would be open to any ideas.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thrown it off my truck 8 times without hitting it...as for the garage door however, I have hit that 4 to 6 times with my roof rack

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm picturing a pulley on the front of your rack with one end of the rope tied to a dowel or something that goes through your hub. You'd probably need a second person to guide the tire as you pulled to sort of let it roll up the back of your car? Or something like that. Heck, I don't know, maybe you could just bounce it up off one of those jogging trampoline deals, LOL...

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Or maybe I could use my X Jack to lift it. Or just ask my wife to toss it up on the roof for me. ;-)

I was able to lift it up. Not easy, but doable. I'll keep thinking about ideas, though. Maybe something to work on over the winter. Maybe a simple A-frame (2 dowels or whatever attached at the top with a pulley). Anchored to the rack at the bottom. Top leans out over the side of the truck such that the pulley extends far enough to raise the wheel/tire up without rubbing the side of the truck. Once the tire hits the top of the "A" then you lift/tilt the whole A up and swing the tire over and onto the rack. (OK, that last part - the "swinging" part, may be a bit more difficult.) All of this may be far too complicated. But it is sort of fun to see if I can figure out a relatively simple way to do it that actually works.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have thrown it off my truck 8 times without hitting it...as for the garage door however, I have hit that 4 to 6 times with my roof rack

Just a follow up. Since I had to change tires a couple of times this weekend there was a lot of getting the wheel/tire up and down. No problem. As was said, lift it to the tailgate, hop up, lift it onto the rack. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be.

jwest

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My PT guy (who works with the US ski team) says "to get strong, pick up heavy things" then goes through the correct/safe ways to work with kettle bells and other core strength routines.

Tires count as a heavy thing ;)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635