Whimp Warning - How do people get there spare on/off their roof rack?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. I am about to install a Curt tow hitch. Once I do this I can no longer carry my full size spare under the truck. I don't want a swing-away tire carrier as I want to be able to use my hitch mounted bike rack and I prefer the visibility out the back window. So it looks like I am stuck with putting it on top. But how do you all get your off road spares up on your roof racks? Just stand on the tailgate and schlep it up? Once it is up there, any magic to securing it?

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess you could use the tailgate to get that heavy spare on the roof. Or you could set-up a 6' folding ladder next to the LR4. Have someone hold the ladder, balance the tire on top of the ladder then transfer it to the roof.

As for securing it, those blue Thule straps can secure anything with confidence.

When I have bikes on the roof, I bring along a 3' aluminum step ladder so I can reach them. (and I'm 6'2" tall)

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think I have found another option. Since this is not a full time problem I am looking at a hitch-mounted tire carrier. When I'm pulling the trailer then I'll just throw the tire in the truck or the trailer until we get on site. Eventually I will mount a tire carrier on the rear bumper of the trailer but if I do that before the 2-year warranty expires then I invalidate the warranty for the frame. (Don't ask.) Bottom line is that I have work arounds that won't require me to put the tire on the roof.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds like a great idea! I used the ladder method and hoisted the very heavy tire up on the roof. It wasn't fun, but not bad.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
All the owners I know who mount spare tires on a roof rack also have the rear ladder mounted on the tailgate of their LR3/4. Even then, it's a lot easier (on your back) and safer (on yourself and your car) to do with a 2-person team, one standing on the roof and one on the ground.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Since I now have the new hitch receiver on the spare is in the back of the truck. This isn't actually a terrible option for us as 90% of the time it is only me in the truck and when my wife joins me we are simply running errands. If we need to go on a trip with more than the usual stuff that stuff can go on the roof rack as it is easier to take down. BTW, when trying to remove the spare in preparation for bolting on the Curt receiver I still had the OEM receiver "plugged in". (I know, I know.) The spare was nearly impossible to take off due to the tight fit with the OEM receiver. So either way that spare was going to be a problem. BTW, the Curt receiver fits great. Next step is to get my Hensley sway control gizmo ordered and installed. And of course pick up the trailer. Some time over the next couple of months we'll be trying to take it up and over a couple Colorado mountain passes. I know it is going to be a bugger. But I don't mind going slow. It will only take me 15-20 minutes longer. And we'll see what this SCV6 is really made of!

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, a bit of anti-seize on the locking bolt of the OEM receiver at each fitting makes it easier to remove.

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
BTW, a bit of anti-seize on the locking bolt of the OEM receiver at each fitting makes it easier to remove.

Good idea. Mine was never too bad - once I remembered to pull the lock out before trying to turn it and then which way I need to turn it. ;-) Always came out pretty easy.

Now getting my 265/60/18 fully inflated spare to "drop down" when I wanted to remove the spare did not go as smoothly. The tire stuck between the hitch receiver and a couple pieces of flat metal on the frame on the opposite side of the tire from the hitch. I could have eventually worked it loose but I was glad I wasn't trying to get to the spare in the middle of some muddy or rocky trail! In fact, I understand now why those who go offroad prefer to have their spare more accessible (though I'm not sure being on the top of the roof is any better.) For me it is now in the back of the truck with some of my emergency gear (straps, chains, tool kit, etc. piled in the back.) When off road season is over I'll be switching to the stock wheels w/ snow tires and will get a temp spare.

Sogs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
tailgate down, lift tire onto tailgate, stand on tailgate, lift tire up onto the roof rack. Reverse, stand on the roof rack and throw the tire off. (ie do not throw it in a way so it bounces back and hits your truck).

danrhiggins

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK, OK. I'll give it a try. You wouldn't happen to be a chiropractor by trade would you? ;-) I had to measure my garage door to make sure I would clear it with the tire sitting on my Yakima rack and aero bars. Clears by 3". No problem. It has been OK in the cargo area but there are times would I would prefer to have the room back. I will only have it up there during off road season. From November to March I will lift the rack off, with the tire on it. That's when I switch to snow tires and will install a temp spare underneath. Then I'll swap back in the Spring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM