Any DIY tips out there on replacing a 2016 LR4 SCV6 Thermostat Housing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebruce

Reaction score
Yes, that's it. The part number is also in the video in the beginning in the parts list.

If you can actually get that old thermostat/hose bit please let us all know how!

I replaced the entire lower hose, no sense spending the money and then not replacing.

Note that Rover hoses come with the camps pre-positioned and locked open, that is very helpful.

Depending on your schedule you could try to take it apart and then purchase only if necessary.

I see AB is $150 and I paid, as I recall $250 at the dealership, but then I did not have time to wait and the dealership is literally 2 miles from my place...

Just a quick note about AB, if you are clicking around too fast it is easy to mistakenly purchase after-markets rather than genuine Rover parts.
Always double check !

@txfromwi appreciate the video and info. very helpful. I just finished this job today. it wasn't hard, it was just tight space and crappy hose clips that don't lock open. Hose clamp pliers a must. I was able to get the coupling removed with some aggressive persuasion. I asked a mechanic at the dealer and he said they will come off, you just need to work at it. I put some WD40 in the joint then put it in a vice. I tapped around it with a rubber mallet to try to break the seal. I then wiggled back and forth. Then I got a punch and tapped around the edges, then tapped some more. Finally came loose.

I need to bleed it tmrw. I got an air bubble in it. Any tips appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_3377.jpeg
    IMG_3377.jpeg
    156.3 KB · Views: 21

thebruce

Reaction score
Still having a difficult time getting the system bled. I've tried a couple times and the coolant is rising when I increase the throttle to 2k or 3.5k (and no heat), so I think that means an airlock. It drops back down immediately when I turn the car off.

I followed the instructions incorrectly the first time (because the instructions in the workshop manual suck.) I had all the bleed screws open while the engine was running. I've also not able to get the bleed plug on the cross over pipe off. I was worried I was going to break the clips.

I mostly followed it the 2nd time, still with the cross over bleeder on, but no luck. Im taking it over to a shop to see if them can vacuum it. The dealer wanted $600 for that...

IMG_3374.jpeg

IMG_3377.jpeg

IMG_3372.jpeg

IMG_3373.jpeg

f1racer328

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You can buy a vacuum bleeder for about $80

OEMTOOLS 24444 Coolant System Refiller Kit, 5 Adapters, Eliminate Trapped Air, Test Radiator and Heating Core Lines for Leaks, Vacuum Fill Coolant Tool, Vacuum Leak Tester, Multi https://a.co/d/4VWuom8

This is the one I have. I’ve only used it once but I don’t have any complaints.

thebruce

Reaction score
It worked itself out. I let it sit for a while with the cap off and then by the time I drove it to the shop to get it looked at the heat was working. appreciate all the help.

16FujiDisco

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Last time I had everything apart I actually got the bleed started by blowing in the tank with bleed caps off to get the air out; actually worked really well. Then ran the heat full blast to circulate and only had to top off just a bit.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72