Any DIY tips out there on replacing a 2016 LR4 SCV6 Thermostat Housing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thebruce

Reaction score
Just replaced the front and rear cross over pipes, hoses, water pump...and new radiator. Thought I had sorted all the coolant issues with the LR4 for years to come. However 1 month later I got another leak from the thermostat housing...brutal.

Does anyone have a DIY guide on how to replace. Looks straightforward so I will do it myself. But ive seen comments about the adapter on the bottom of the housing not coming off and/or having to buy a whole new hose assembly just for that adapter. I didnt really understand that part and didnt want to get stuck once I have it apart.

If anyone has the deetz I will trade a step by step DIY guide on dropping the fuel tank to replace the fuel pump. Did that last week. Would have taken 1-2hrs with proper documentation. Working on the LR4 would be 10x easier (and more enjoyable) if we had some better DIY guides out there. The workshop manual is rudimentary and poorly written. I have an old 911 and there are step by step guides on virtually everything you would need to do to maintain the car.

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
In my case, the adapter on the bottom of the thermostat did not come off and I needed to purchase the entire hose assembly that goes from the thermostat down to the radiator, that hose assembly was about $250.

It's a standard brutal plumbing problem, just 2 little tips, there is a T-30 bolt that attaches the thermostat to the body, best way to get to that is several feet of extensions placing the socket wrench up at the fender rather than down in there.
And when you get the entire lower hose assembly, check from underneath to be sure you have contained all the bits and bobs in that provided retaining zippy tie, otherwise you can have things rubbing on the serpentine belt if not properly secured.

Here is my video for that entire project.
Skip to 44:37 for the bit about the thermostat and watch to 50:45

Last edited:

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
Just replaced the front and rear cross over pipes, hoses, water pump...and new radiator. Thought I had sorted all the coolant issues with the LR4 for years to come. However 1 month later I got another leak from the thermostat housing...brutal.
Yeah, I usually tell people the plastic cooling parts deteriorate pretty much near the same time. With that said, once a single part starts going you should probably overhaul the entire cooling system, except for the radiator and potentially hoses. Thermostat is at the top of that list along with front/rear crossover pipes, water pump, oil cooler, bleeder screw, and gaskets.

If you off road the truck, I'd also highly recommend swapping over to dexcool. Where you can find dexcool almost anywhere, even at a remote gas station 60+ miles from no where.

thebruce

Reaction score
thanks so much @txfromwi and @djkaosone! I love your videos @txfromwi. Next level detail and we need more of that in the LR world. I have an older 911 and the Porsche forums have DIYs on virtually anything you would ever want to do. I work on the LR less because it's a crap shoot every time I get into projects as so little info. So your efforts are appreciated!

so conclusion is I should pay the idiot tax and get this extra hose in case I cant get that adapter off? I read a couple posts of people mentioning they were able to get it off and re-use, but didnt give details how.

@djkaosone yea I just replaced most of my coolant system: front and rear cross overs, new water pump, new radiator and new hoses. This was the only thing not done and of course starts leaking 1 month after the others were replaced :)

txfromwi

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 & 2015 Houston TX. 2016 Rochester NY
Yes, that's it. The part number is also in the video in the beginning in the parts list.

If you can actually get that old thermostat/hose bit please let us all know how!

I replaced the entire lower hose, no sense spending the money and then not replacing.

Note that Rover hoses come with the camps pre-positioned and locked open, that is very helpful.

Depending on your schedule you could try to take it apart and then purchase only if necessary.

I see AB is $150 and I paid, as I recall $250 at the dealership, but then I did not have time to wait and the dealership is literally 2 miles from my place...

Just a quick note about AB, if you are clicking around too fast it is easy to mistakenly purchase after-markets rather than genuine Rover parts.
Always double check !

ftillier

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also AB have an Amazon storefront that sometimes has lower prices and free shipping compared with their own website. That's how I got my lower steering shaft replacement.

djkaosone

'11 LR4 HSE LUX 5.0L V8
Reaction score
AB also has an ebay store front too. A few years back I somehow scored a set of 8 oem Bosch injectors for $700 shipped. So check their ebay store too.

Lgibson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What is the feasibility of snaking that thermostat out from underneath? Has anyone tried that?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72