White Smoke

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jayrod422

Reaction score
Got the call today from the wife regarding my LR3 (06 HSE w/ 65K) miles. She said the car was randomly spewing white smoke out the back on her way to work. Enough smoke to "choke out the other cars" behind her.

Any ideas.. I havent looked at it yet (I'm still at work). From reading on the internet and this site I think its coolant and maybe have a gasket and/or seal blown.. I am hoping it not a gasket.

Is this common for a LR3 with ~65K miles?

tlt

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's a new one on me. I would be concerned, and use caution. You should be able to smell if it is burning oil. Be careful to not overheat it, that would be bad.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke is coolant/head gasket. Check and fill your coolant bottle to the top and get it to a mechanic Monday without driving it this weekend.

Mack73

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you sure the white smoke was coming out of the tailpipe?

Could be as simple as a split in a coolant line which is leaking on the exhaust. And while driving it would be blown back and out from under the car.

But if it is coming out the tailpipe .... that will be expensive.

jayrod422

Reaction score
its coming out of the muffler.. didnt drive it all this weekend until this evening - (just to move it). smoke comes out of the mufflers and the fluid is low.. taking it to the shop tomorrow.. also the oil seems to be low.. is this thing safe to drive at all or should i call a tow truck?

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Before you authorize any work, get an estimate of need repairs and cost and get back to us so you don't get screwed on the repair. When you say shop, I hope you don't mean a dealer.

jayrod422

Reaction score
Well the problem ended up being a ruptured PCV valve + leaking coolant hose. Here are the costs for the repair..

Labor (2.5 hours) - $256.25
LR003380 - Valve - CRANKCAS $29.97
LR006158 - HOSE $21.65
Total: $307.87

The car is now running fine with no performance issues and/or smoke. The work was done at the cough "dealership" here in the North Pittsburgh. I wouldn't mind finding a local shop but the only one I could find on these forums was over an hour and a half away.

I guess it got lucky it wasn't a headgasket issue. The car has 62K miles on it now.. Is it worthwhile to pursue the Ford ESP warranty with this many miles on it?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4