Whrrring noise when coasting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

S

SteveA

Do you have the yellow light on the dash illuminated indicating the vehicle has the center diff locked? If this light is on it is a definate indicator that the CDL is locked. If it is off it either means it is not locked or the lamp is out. You would know if it was locked by the way the car drove. It sounds like it's probably just an issue with the mechanism. They like to get stuck if they don't get used much. It's not usually a big deal to free up the mechanism.

Stephen

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No Light and the car drove great on the highway. But my heart sank when I looked in the owner's manual and saw the warning that you should not do normal driving with it in lock mode. As I drove the truck to my mechanic I was thinking u-joints because it drove fine but for the whirring noise when took my foot off the gas.

Thanks,

D

disco1

Hmmm! After all these posts and still only guesses, I,m going to ask a couple of questions that may sound stupid.
How long have you owned this vehicle, and if you have just recently purchased it, what type of tyre tread does it have? Is it aggressive, mildly aggressive, or just simple all terrains?

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've had it for 2 months and the sound began last week. The truck has regular all-terrain tires (Michelins).

tommy33

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Broken gear tooth

My trusted mechanic said that there is a gear tooth broken in the rear differential and that the outer tie-rods are shot.

The broken gear tooth seems like a reasonable explanation for the whirring noise. What do you think.

Now for the transfer box. If the selector was in "high" on the lock side and it operated fine on the highway, does that mean that it is actually stuck in the normal driving position? What would the consequences be if I just left it alone?

Thanks all....

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99