wierd leak

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

colleyt

Reaction score
my 05 sat outside for 3 days in the rain and when moving it today found gallons of water in the passenger side floor board. no surrounding areas are wet and no windows were left open. has anyone ever had this problem?

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pretty common problem with the LR3s - it is likely a blocked sunroof drain. Here is some info from a TSB:

Technical Service Bulletin No.LA501-014
24 October 2005

Subject/Concern:
Discovery 3 (LA) - Possible Causes of Water Ingress into the Cabin

Models :
Discovery 3 / LR3 Vin range : 5A300394 Onwards

Markets :
All

Section :
501-01

Summary :
This bulletin has been issued for information only to aid technicians in identifying possible areas of water ingress into the cabin.

Should a customer express concern, and having located the point of water ingress, the appropriate remedial action should then be carried out.

Symptom
Water Ingress through headliner in proximity of roof opening panel. Sealed end valve of the roof opening panel drain tubes. This may affect any one of the four roof opening panel drain tubes on the vehicle.

Potential Root Cause

. Loose roof opening panel torx screws.
. Badly routed, kinked or twisted roof opening panel drain tubes.
. Incorrect lateral position of roof opening panel lateral alignment, causing the seal to leak. Note; This root cause will result in substantial water ingress.

Symptom
Water Ingress through headliner in proximity of roof opening panel, predominantly front right-hand side of roof opening panel although depending upon inclination of vehicle, or acceleration/deceleration, ingress may be evident at other points around the roof opening panel.

Potential Root Cause

Foam sound-deadening pad in right-hand side fender/wing air intake fouling/blocking the roof opening panel drain tube.

Good luck!
Rich

AdvRide

Reaction score
I discovered another water entry point which I have not yet addressed with my dealer and could also be a potential cause for what you experienced.

I was washing my LR3 and have noticed that the black plastic cover at the base of the windshield that the wipers protrude thru is fading and actually warping. Enough of a deformation that there are two spots that have pulled away from the windshield slightly. Well after I washed my truck I was cleaning out the interior and noticed water in the passenger floor board. Started looking under the dash and found a drip. Open the glove box and released the hinge latch like you would if you were getting to the fuse box and or replacing the dust filter. The water was dripping out of the A/C fan housing where the dust filter resides. Pulled the dust filter and there was water in the fan housing for the A/C. So I squirted more water on the windshield and the water entered at deformed portion of the plastic windshield cover just under the wipers and then landed on top of the A/C fan enclosure and found its way in. Then dripped into the floor board. During rains it does not seem to accummulate enough to drip probably because the windshield wiper diverts rain that falls straight down. Probably the reason I saw it during a washing was because I used the water hose and was squirting under the wiper blade at some point.

So sorry for the rambling here but thought I would share this new entry point for water. I already attemtpted to get my dealer to replace this plastic cover under warranty but apparently Land Rover NA told them it was a wear and tear item and would not be covered under warranty. I think if it was not deformed from the sun it would prevent the water from entering at this location.

colleyt

Reaction score
that has to be it becuase the water was ONLY in that floor board area. I cant possibly understand how they could justify that not being a warranty issue. Your car at the very least should be water tight above anything else. I have heard of these roof leaks but luckily have not run into that yet. The car was dumped on for 3 days straight. I

richpike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^I'd ask another dealer - that sounds like it should be covered under warranty.

-Rich

GMTIIFAN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem, but it was on the driver side. The dealer had replaced the sunroof due to the plastic rails cracking. While they had it, we had some real heavy rains and it flooded. The carpet had to be replaced. I am lucky to have a great warranty department that takes care of their customers.

Roverine

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had the same problem with water in the passenger floor pan and it was a blocked sun roof drain. Water does not always appear thru the headliner. Have your drains checked.

dropper

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yep, same thing here - sunroof drain. Dealer replaced my carpeting.

AdvRide

Reaction score
I plan to re-submit this for warranty since the water intrusion into the A/C system seems to be caused by the plastic cover deforming.

And I have already had the sunroof drain clog which let a few gallons of water drain into my lap and the passenger floor board.:mad: They know about the problem so you should have that checked as well.

colleyt

Reaction score
yep

ok guys you were right. sun roof drain turned the wrong way and it let out in the passenger foot well. p

pick up from dealer, says hes got it all taken care of. get home and the carpet is still soaked. my fault for not checking before I left.

also that night realize that the terrain controls dont work at all and my key fob wont unlock or lock my truck. good thing its saturday, I have water damaging the electrical system and my car smells like a wet dog inside. love it.

waiting for tuesday to hash it out with the serv dept:mad:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink