Wierd sound coming from engine compartment...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

deanz

I noticed a really strange sound coming from the engine compartment or possibly deep inside the steering column last night. It sounded like a pump or something trying to work, but meeting resistance and stopping after 2-5 seconds...almost like an engine turning when you first start a car - only faster, less loud and deeper in pitch. It only happens when moving (mostly accelerating or just after accelerating), car has to be warmed up (does not happen soon after cold start), steering has no effect on it (doesn’t look like a power steering issue), and seems like it may hesitate accelerating a bit, but no critical issues in performance when it occurs...just sounds awful. Can this be a belt or something loose in the engine? Really seems more prevalent right after you accelerate hard, like when entering a freeway...

Has anyone experienced this before? Any ideas? The LR dealer picked up the car for other issues today and I told them about the sound. They heard it as well (held my cell phone to the steering column while driving so the svc. mgr could confirm her heard it - which he did). I’d like to give them suggestions on what to look for if anyone can help pinpoint the issue.

Sorry, this is my third post in a short time. I don't mean to take up a lot of peoples' good will and advice...it just seems like I'm getting bombarded with problems lately and most folks on this site seem much more knowledgeable than me...Thanks in advance for your input/help.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9