Will I miss the locking differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think $750 for the HD package is a great deal. Remember, you're also getting the full size spare, which you really should have if you go off-roading.

I am going on a dealer sponsored off-roading excursion on Sunday. I'll ask their opinion on the rear lockers and report back.

I agree it's an amazing deal. The full-size spare has a cost of somewhere near the cost of the HD package alone. I don't have the HD package, but have checked eBay for full-size spares and there are a lot of them around for a reasonable fee. I'd like to get rid of my mini-me-spare.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think $750 for the HD package is a great deal. Remember, you're also getting the full size spare, which you really should have if you go off-roading.

I am going on a dealer sponsored off-roading excursion on Sunday. I'll ask their opinion on the rear lockers and report back.
Are you going to the event in Glen Rose TX this Sunday? If so I'll see you there (I'm not sure if the terrain is challenging enough to settle the debate but we can have fun trying)

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score

That's a great idea! I think 98% of LR4 owners don't need them, but they are definitely helpful in certain off-road situations. Let us know what the off-road drivers say about the locking rear differentials. Thanks!

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree it's an amazing deal. The full-size spare has a cost of somewhere near the cost of the HD package alone. I don't have the HD package, but have checked eBay for full-size spares and there are a lot of them around for a reasonable fee. I'd like to get rid of my mini-me-spare.

yep, i need to get a full size spare, but nothing on the web seems trustworthy, and it would also need a tpms, and maybe some programming for it to see the tpsm sensor, in case you ever did actually need it as a spare......

jsanch21

Reaction score
What's the feedback from the off road event? Inquiring minds wish to know!!

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's the feedback from the off road event? Inquiring minds wish to know!!
Ahhh... yes... the guy there said it can help in some situations, but for most, probably not necessary. Certainly not the trail we were on. The trail they had originally planned was not open yet due to snow, so they picked an alternate trail. This one is rated a 3 or 4 in difficulty (out of 10) -- not too difficult. Per their recommendation, we did the entire trail on the "Normal" terrain setting, using the "Off-Road" height and low range. The 4x4 info screen never did show the lockers, so don't know if either engaged at any time. I believe the locker pics only show up if a different terrain setting (other than normal) is selected -- but not sure.

MottMcfly

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I agree. For $750 it's worth it in my opinion. It just wasn't available at the time and I just couldn't wait.

Does anyone know if this is available as an add-on and if so how much?

Thanks

Marty

jsanch21

Reaction score
I agree. For $750 it's worth it in my opinion. It just wasn't available at the time and I just couldn't wait.

Does anyone know if this is available as an add-on and if so how much?

Thanks

Marty

+1....

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did some very steep inclines no snow in this part of the country. The car in front of us did not have the rear locker and it would have to really claw on loose limestone (I gave him plenty of room as he was spitting rocks) The rear locker allowed the truck to unlock the center diff several times when I would turn the wheel and the rear locker stayed locked up so we could maintain traction when climbing. The cars without the rear locker made it across all of the trails we did, but I'm still a big fan of a rear locking diff. Old school rigs swapping the rear diff wasn't too big of a deal (I'm sure LR would charge an arm and a leg for the part) My concern would be because these diffs are computer controlled is it possible to tell the computer that a truck without the rear locker now has one? Is the wiring to the rear diff compatible on a car that didn't come with HD package?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We did some very steep inclines no snow in this part of the country. The car in front of us did not have the rear locker and it would have to really claw on loose limestone (I gave him plenty of room as he was spitting rocks) The rear locker allowed the truck to unlock the center diff several times when I would turn the wheel and the rear locker stayed locked up so we could maintain traction when climbing. The cars without the rear locker made it across all of the trails we did, but I'm still a big fan of a rear locking diff. Old school rigs swapping the rear diff wasn't too big of a deal (I'm sure LR would charge an arm and a leg for the part) My concern would be because these diffs are computer controlled is it possible to tell the computer that a truck without the rear locker now has one? Is the wiring to the rear diff compatible on a car that didn't come with HD package?

I checked out my rear diff a while back and noticed the "wiring" was there... and I don't have HD. I read that non-HD didn't have the wiring... so what am I seeing? I also noticed in some situations that rear "lock" symbol would go green time to time. ***?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM