Will I miss the locking differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Took our LR3 in to replace a broken tailgate latch. I usually get a high-mileage LR3 loaner but they were out so they pulled the white plastic off a brand new LR4 for me. Very nice vehicle with so many small improvements. Exta 75 HP is great. So now I'm thinking about trading our LR3 for an LR4 once incentives on 2011's come out. Our LR3 has the heavy duty package with the locking rear differential. Apparently this feature is nearly impossible to find on LR4's. (Or at least on the 2011 LR4's that are available) Will I miss the locking rear differential when driving in soft sand on the beach?

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I can't imagine not getting the HD package if you're going to use the vehicle off road or if you get regular flats (I use to think my wife put magnets in her wheels). The dealer we bought ours from had to locate the vehicle and do a dealer trade to get one with the HD package, so they are out there, you might just have to look.

LR4Austin

Reaction score
I have the HD package on my 2011 LR4 and had to wait 2 months for it. Love it!

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There's others that have said they've done fine without the rear lockers off-road. But I agree with DonMitsu & LR4Austin -- probably best to have it if you plan on going off-road. I special ordered my LR4 with the HD package.

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i think the locking rear diff is a little overblown........yea it sounds like a good thing, but what do drivetrain engineers actually think........i want to see some actual real world examples where the lack of locking rear diff lr4 couldn't go somewhere the locking rear diff lr4 could.....there are alot of folks with a hunch it would or wouldn't do this, bot no real data or experience......esp with the currently available 19" tires, locking diff i dont think is that big of a deal, with the terrain response.....the factory tires probably won't get you anywhere the locking rear diff would actually make a difference

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The HD rear diff locking is for crazy, jungle off-roading, and I am sure most owners, diehards included, would never put their LR4s through that sort of terror.

The LR4 is already superb out of the box.

DonMitsu

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the factory tires, and unfortunately the only tire option for that 19" wheel is the Pirelli Scorpion ATR, but there is a manufacturer of 18" wheels for the car now that allows you to put good AT tires on the truck. a slippery steep incline where you can only get 2 wheels on the ground is a good time to have the comfort of the rear locker. (I'll agree most people won't ever need it but I can think of a few places in Colorado I would be uncomfortable without it) I don't know who goes wheelin without a full size spare either. I was really surprised the HD package was an option, but then I think most people buy this vehicle to be a luxury commuter car and not for it's 4x4 capability. I assume without the rear locker the car uses the ABS speed sensors and brakes to direct torque to the non slipping wheel. This can be a good solution if executed properly, but I'm still a little old school and not completely comfortable with all the electronics not even the terrain response (I still miss a direct transfer case lever)

I would like to clarify why I may be Crazy as Count Laszio suggest I much prefer the mountains to the jungle :)

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree on the factory tires, and unfortunately the only tire option for that 19" wheel is the Pirelli Scorpion ATR, but there is a manufacturer of 18" wheels for the car now that allows you to put good AT tires on the truck. a slippery steep incline where you can only get 2 wheels on the ground is a good time to have the comfort of the rear locker. (I'll agree most people won't ever need it but I can think of a few places in Colorado I would be uncomfortable without it) I don't know who goes wheelin without a full size spare either. I was really surprised the HD package was an option, but then I think most people buy this vehicle to be a luxury commuter car and not for it's 4x4 capability. I assume without the rear locker the car uses the ABS speed sensors and brakes to direct torque to the non slipping wheel. This can be a good solution if executed properly, but I'm still a little old school and not completely comfortable with all the electronics not even the terrain response (I still miss a direct transfer case lever)

I would like to clarify why I may be Crazy as Count Laszio suggest I much prefer the mountains to the jungle :)

i hear ya, but i have gone up some steep washed out climbs, in rock mode and no wheel slip whatsoever, without locking rear diff, remember, if the center diff is locked, no one rear wheel can spin without the front wheels spinning.........i could def see my center diff locking on the climb, and it totally controlled any front or rear wheel spin.........

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
another thing is the lr4 is rear weight biased, thats why you need higher air pressure in rear vs front tires............most cars are other way around, this does lend itself to better rear wheel traction

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still think $750 for the HD package is a great deal. Remember, you're also getting the full size spare, which you really should have if you go off-roading.

I am going on a dealer sponsored off-roading excursion on Sunday. I'll ask their opinion on the rear lockers and report back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM