Will I miss the locking differential?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I checked out my rear diff a while back and noticed the "wiring" was there... and I don't have HD. I read that non-HD didn't have the wiring... so what am I seeing? I also noticed in some situations that rear "lock" symbol would go green time to time. ***?

Either you have the HD package or there is in fact wiring for the rear locking diff in non HD models... I will check mine later on my neighbors lift. I do not have HD and I will most likely never be in a situation where I would need it. Actually, I do not want to be in a situation where I would need the rear locking diff.
BTW Count, I ordered an HID kit and will install it as soon as I get it and will let you know how it goes.

bgsntth

Full Access Member
Reaction score
One area I think makes a difference with the locking rear-diff is on sustained climbs. We have a 0.6 mile gravel/grass trail on our ranch that is a sustained 30-40 degree slope. At the top of this trail, when there was more grass than gravel, the amber EPB light would come on and the transmission would lock itself in 2nd gear, and the rear brakes would be really hot. Everything settled down after driving for 20 minutes and staying off the brakes. I can't help but suspect that this was because the ETC was working overtime, and it would have been avoided with a rear locker. FWIW - DSC off, Mud/Ruts, Low, 2nd gear, 4-5K rpms.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Either you have the HD package or there is in fact wiring for the rear locking diff in non HD models... I will check mine later on my neighbors lift. I do not have HD and I will most likely never be in a situation where I would need it. Actually, I do not want to be in a situation where I would need the rear locking diff.
BTW Count, I ordered an HID kit and will install it as soon as I get it and will let you know how it goes.

Awesome! Please report back on both!

Joanne

Reaction score
I took my 2010 LR4 LUX with HD offroading with the Arizona Land Rovers Owners three times since I joined the club in Feb 2011. I live in Arizona and love driving smoothly and quickly on asphalt (passing on curves on a uphill) getting to the trailhead to put it in muds and ruts and rockcrawling. Offroading has been the best surprise about the LR4, since I purchased it mainly for the 7 seats. The kids are happy and I am too! We have some LR3s in the club and they do just as well as my LR4 with HD on the moderate trails like Broken Arrow. I don't do any severe trails because I still love my paint job. Give me another few years!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM