Wind Noise at 70mph - Need Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rhigham

Reaction score
So the 2009 LR3 has been in the shop for two days. Lots of Blue Tape in all of the suspect areas but cant seem to find the source of the whistle (Drivers Side Front Post Area)

Anyone have any experience with it?

FYI No Rack trim pieces seem all sealed. No prior damage. The curious thing is that it just started this month 20K miles

Thanks for any thoughts

RumRunnr

Reaction score
check the A pillar. Its black plastic cover is attached by 4 fasteners. Mine were loose and I experienced a vibration/buzzing at speeds over 70 mph.

Next time your driving and hear the noise roll down the window and place your hand on the plastic cover. The noise should stop. If this stopped the noise buy new fasteners. They should cost about $16.00.

CAREFULLY (I can not stress this enough) pull the black cover off the A pillar, replace the fasteners, and then carefully snap the cover back on. Problem solved.

Team Jeff

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the site!

There could be holes in the A-pillar where the "clips" are supposed to locate / attach the exterior trim. Sometimes the clips miss the intended holes resulting in a path for entry.

Get some new clips from the dealer (this is a "kit" that includes all clips and "band-aids" used to block unused holes), open the bonnet, remove the trim, check for unused holes, replace the trim with new clips & band-aids, & run a bead of black silicone along the windshield where the rubber of the A-pillar trim meets the glass. This solved some wind noise issues I had.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
check the A pillar. Its black plastic cover is attached by 4 fasteners. Mine were loose and I experienced a vibration/buzzing at speeds over 70 mph.

Next time your driving and hear the noise roll down the window and place your hand on the plastic cover. The noise should stop. If this stopped the noise buy new fasteners. They should cost about $16.00.

CAREFULLY (I can not stress this enough) pull the black cover off the A pillar, replace the fasteners, and then carefully snap the cover back on. Problem solved.

Was the same with mine...the clips cost me $4.50

rhigham

Reaction score
Still at it

Well Day 3 at the Dealership. Still cant find the whistle! Ugg (I Do Have a Nice Loaner with 300 miles on it :).

Service manager says he has never seen a LR3 with so much blue tape covering every possible wind noise spot? Removed A Posts so they should not even be a factor at this point.

They sent it to there glass shop today and they seem a bit perplexed.

Funny and frustrating to say the least.

Anyone else want to chime in with a thought. I told them I posted a thread today. We can use the help LoL

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well Day 3 at the Dealership. Still cant find the whistle! Ugg (I Do Have a Nice Loaner with 300 miles on it :).

Service manager says he has never seen a LR3 with so much blue tape covering every possible wind noise spot? Removed A Posts so they should not even be a factor at this point.

They sent it to there glass shop today and they seem a bit perplexed.

Funny and frustrating to say the least.

Anyone else want to chime in with a thought. I told them I posted a thread today. We can use the help LoL

After spending $150 for the plastic over the passenger A pillar, it got better... for a while. After that Honeymoon ended, it was narrowed down to the cowling being warped (the plastic piece under the windshield wipers)

$350 later... I still had occasional problems although it was better, for a while, but now becoming a bit more prevalent. I've spent $500 total trying to rid the awful sound.

Why does a $50K vehicle have so much plastic in that area. It is constantly bombarded with high air force. My other three vehicles are all metal there with nary an issue...

rhigham

Reaction score
Found It.

Well no kidding after a week and a half in the shop. Multiple techs and special listening devices to pin point the noise the final answer.

Driver side rear view mirror. "They Said" wrong one was installed originally at factory? Hmm didnt look any different didnt look at the removed part. The car has had no damage but they replaced it and there is no wind noise.

Hope that helps someone out. It seemed so simple yet complicated....

jjvd21

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That makes no sense. I find it very unlikely they installed the wrong mirror.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo