Wind noise/hum on newly acquired LR3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rogejo321

Reaction score
Hello Everyone - First time post here, but been on and looking around a lot for the last 9 months. I decided to purchase an LR3 at the tail end of last year and found one that generally fit the bill. It had 115k miles, two owners, and lived in Cali and Florida it’s whole life so was reasonably clean.

I’ve been able to do some small stuff myself after having it looked at by a few LR local mechanics. It had a small leak out of the oil cooler which I caught early enough I think, but it’s generally only had some smaller stuff that LR3s are known for (most recently the trunk latch failed which was a fun replacement :) ).

In any event, I’m getting towards whits end with a wind noise/issue. It generally only happens above 60mph. It sounds like it’s coming from the passenger side, maybe towards the roof line but tough to poinpoint.

Now I know the usual suspect is the A Pillar trim, but it’s not the culprit. In fact, I went so far today as removing it completely and painters taping the whole area and the sound is still there.

It’s also not the sunroof - was able to adjust that and totally cleared up a bunch of wind noise which was nice and also not that hard. But when I open it

Doesn’t seem to be the side mirror either as I’ve adjusted it and pulled it in while at speed and the hum is still there.

The sound is a hum that gets louder when the wind picks up and hits the car.

All that said, the truck does have a replacement windshield and the only thing I keep thinking is that it was either poorly sealed or they screwed up installing the moulding at the top of the windshield. I’m having a tough time determining that though.

Before I go replacing the windshield (or maybe trying to find someone to reseal it but that seems difficult to find for some reason), I figured I’d ask if there’s any other ideas that anyone has. I’ll try to post a video along with any pictures of the top moulding to help, but wanted to get the convo started. Thanks for any thoughts/ideas!!

rogejo321

Reaction score
This is a video of the noise, but not sure how much you can tell the noise versus general highway noises…

rogejo321

Reaction score
A couple photos of the upper gasket on the windshield as well. Any thoughts appreciated!

068340C7-7154-4D34-8E4A-FC9E8936AB9F.jpeg

A6CFF9EA-D969-4999-952C-14AC721603B2.jpeg

BD0C4FBD-8E47-4CCA-902D-989C6215FBB8.jpeg

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm....I have the same noise, only periodically, on my '06 but not my '05. I always thought it was the A-Pillar in certain crosswinds. The '06 has a roof rack but yours doesn't I see. My '05 is just "tighter" in general so that is how I accounted for the '06 making noise and the "05 not, because I can tell it's not the roof rack. That is a whole different noise delta.

rogejo321

Reaction score
I wish mine was periodic. It’s literally every time I’m on the highway and pretty much non stop when I am above 60mph. I saw that another suggestion was to get an air compressor and blow air on parts that might cause it. I don’t have an air compressor any longer but may pick one up for this (and good to have around anyways). Any other ideas appreciated if anyone else has had a similar issue!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeahhhh....but the air compressor might be so ******** loud that it masks the noise you're listening for.

NorthwestDriver

Reaction score
Few ideas for hunting this down:

1) Painters tape around your windshield. See if it still persists after that, then you’ll know if it’s the windshield seal.

2) Try opening each door window individually when on the highway. Could be one of those seals.

3) Inspect your door to body seals.

4) Inspect your cowl. Is it warped? Did you perhaps do the anti-leak mod and cover the air intake? Perhaps that cover is causing the hum.

Good luck!

rogejo321

Reaction score
Thanks for the response, and super helpful. Those were all things that I was suspicious of. I did end up painters taping the whole thing bit by bit, and then trying it out on the highway (over the course of a bunch of different highway trips).

To close it out, I was 99% sure it was the windshield seal, especially given that when looking at the VIN, you could tell the whole windshield was low/had fallen during install. I got the windshield replaced and it’s now suuuuper quiet. Only issue is now I can hear more noise from the ridge grapplers I just put on. Thanks again for the help everyone!

Rberkel

Reaction score
We had the same and it was a badly fitted non genuine windshield (which also happend to leak)

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut