Won't go into gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

D

dennis1600

I have a 99 Discovery Series I. I was driving home today when there was a loud pop. I pulled over put it in park and my first thought was drive shaft. Because when I put it into park it began to roll like it was in neutral. I put on the emergency brake and looked underneath the vehicle and the drive shafts and U joints were intact. When you go to put the vehicle into park it sounds as though the gears in the transmision are spinning, so I don't think it's the transmission. But I am not sure. I had the vehicle towed to my house. Someone suggested that I jack up the rear end put into drive and see if the drive shaft turns. The wheels spin when it is off the ground. I am not sure what this means though. Is that the torque converter that has gone out? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a CV. Anyone else?

Do you have CDL? If so, engage (lock) it and pull the front driveshaft, you'll have rear wheel drive and can narrow the problems down to CV or front diff. Then comes the fun part, where you get to tear apart your front end to replace one or both CV joints (or pay a king's ransom to have a dealer or other mechanic do it for you).

Andy

D

discomike

Dennis,
There is a real good chance you broke your rear diff. If this has happened and you are not sure what to do, don't do anything except get it to your favorite shop, don't drive it, flat bed it only.
Good luck,
Mike J.

J

JackUnion

I think Moose has got the right idea, my guess is you have a cv joint gone (their prone to go, I fix them all the time) put her in diff lock if she drives then jack her up and spin the front wheels, if both wheels spin freely listen carefully to each and you might hear a rattling sound in the hub. If so then strip down that hub, you'll most likely see the ball bearing parts of the cv laying there (they break up). Contaminated oil in the swivel ball is most likely the cause, when fixed, fill it with a tube of LR grease (and renew the grease/oil in the other side as it might be in the same state, don't want to be doing the other one next month eh!).
Now it could be diff's as Mike said or one of your rear half shafts gone but my monies on the cv joint up front, let us know the outcome and good luck.

J

JackUnion

You could well be right there Mike, I did read Dennis's message quickly at first but looking at it again it is a bit confusing. He does say that when he lifts the rear end the wheels spin? does he mean freely each side by hand or when in gear running? I took it to mean when running. He also said that he did this to see if the drive shaft turned but he didn't say if it turned or not?. Simple enough to find out, jack up the rear diff, wheels off the ground, put it in diff lock, put it in drive and "gently inch forward" if it moves it's the front end, if it doesn't it's the rear end.
I went for the cv as I change them on a regular basis, if it is a diff and he lives anywhere near Toronto I have at least 10 used diffs he can pick from as there not that common to go.

Moose

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wrote "front diff" earlier, and re-reading things I think it's either the rear diff or a CV up front -- depending on how you read his description of lifting the back end and having wheels that turn.

Seems like, if they turn under power with the diff open, but he has no power on the ground and in gear, it's a CV; otherwise, it's the rear diff. Am I right about the diagnostic test?

D

dennis1600

It turns out it was a front dif. The pin that holds the gears in slides through a hole. That hole should fit tightly around the pin. However you could have put about three pins in there. I have had the vehicle since January. It was always was loud when I put it into gear or took my foot off the gas. I just assumed it just shifted loudly. That's my stupidity of vehicles and landrovers. It turns out it was the drive shaft slamming that pin. I just can't believe it lasted 10 months like that. No telling how long it was like that before I got it. It cost me about $400 for the front dif. Not sure on the labor yet. Thanks alot for your help guys. Also the rear tires moved under power when it was jacked up.

Thanks,
Dennis

A

ANTHONY

95 Range Rover

I Have A 1995 Range Rover I Bought The Suv From An Auction It Drove Home And Drove It For A Few Days Then Had My Wife Put Water In The Tank Next To The Fuse Box Relay Needless To Say She Over Filed It Which I Did Not Know That The Fuse Box Relay Was Broke On The Bottom Which Water Got Into The Rlays And It Would Not Start So I Bought A New Relay Box And Put It In And I Got It To Start By Taking Off The Shell Of The Relay For The Fuel And It Starts Up Now But On The Dash It Reads Tanny Case In Neutral And Wont Go Into Gear What Do I Do Now

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72