Wrangler MTR vs Pirelli Scorpion ATR

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e24kgold

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for keeping me in check roverman. No **** its not a mud tire and since its not a mud tire, 'deep' doesnt mean 4 feet of mud. I'll be more specific next time. How about 8-12 inches of soft mud. 'Did great' means I got thorugh it no problem. It should be clear to anyone that can see the ATR's aren't as agressive as the MT/R's. I guess I'll have to dumb it down around here

morrisdl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not all "mud" is created equal. Ive been stopped by 2" of really slick stuff, but cruised right though 8" of the wetter or dryer type. I would not venture into 8-12" of any kind with my AT tires, unless I had my boots handy ;-)

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so, i had about decided to go with the pirelli ATR, however now that i am looking into it more seriously, the tire is on backorder almost everywhere with no planned production time. there is no doubt that the MTR will be "excessive" for what i will need them for, however the option is pretty much a straight street tire or a crazy expensive mudtire. the cheapest i can get the MTRs out the door, mounted/balanced, and with tax is $1,400. ouch!

jptruck

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you looking at 19" or 18" tires. You could try the Terra Grapplers if you have the 18". I think you can find them a few places right now, and they are probably less than $900 for 4.

I had this same bind a few weeks back. I ended up with some Bridgestones because A) no more Synchrones, B) Pirelli were out of stock indefinitely, C) MTRs would be too much (and they are pretty scarce). Good luck.

I was thinking of getting a second set and putting the Terrras on the for winter and off-roading excursions. Seems a little drastic, but there's uaually a market to sell them later.

Last edited:

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well thanks for keeping me in check roverman. No **** its not a mud tire and since its not a mud tire, 'deep' doesnt mean 4 feet of mud. I'll be more specific next time. How about 8-12 inches of soft mud. 'Did great' means I got thorugh it no problem. It should be clear to anyone that can see the ATR's aren't as agressive as the MT/R's. I guess I'll have to dumb it down around here

Since the original poster is new and asking for advice between 2 completely different tires, I was just pointing out the relativity of your statement. Since he's asking between one of the most aggressive tires available and a good almost all terrain tire, i"m not going to assume what he knows. But 8-12 inches is still pretty good for that tire :)

cbboard

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am looking to put the tires on my 19" wheels. haven't found any great deal on an extra set of 18" wheels. it seems like the tire options are pretty bad. for the 19"s ..either straight up street tire or ********* off roading tire. not too much middle of the road.

roverman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i am looking to put the tires on my 19" wheels. haven't found any great deal on an extra set of 18" wheels. it seems like the tire options are pretty bad. for the 19"s ..either straight up street tire or ********* off roading tire. not too much middle of the road.

I'll be honest, for what it sounds like you want to accomplish I wouldn't do either tire. If it was me I'd sell my 19", get some 18" and get silent armors or Coopers if you want a bigger tire. In the end you might even save a little money because both these tires are cheaper than the ones you are considering. But then that's a lot of extra work. I think the MTRs full time would get a little annoying after a while. I've been planning on the GYSA but my damn Michelins won't wear out.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heather8635