Xm Radio Install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T

TUG

Hello,
I bought my 2005 LR3 HSE in Aug. 2005 ---LOVE IT ---I am a convert from 6 Toyota Land Cruisers 76,80,84,92,94,97(Pre 1998 only--do not like the 100 series)
Has anyone installed an XM radio and if so could you pass on some ideas on locaton, antenna placement , etc. ?
I have 3600 miles now and no problems.
Thanks for any help.

Tug Wilson

D

DonA

I am using the Sirius Starmate, but any universal XM unit should be similar. I chose the Starmate because it is the smallest Sirius unit I've seen yet, I wanted to stay with Sirius since my previous car had it and I grew to miss it in a hurry.

The Starmate works ok but my friend & I are working on a better antenna as the one it comes with gets spotty reception when under trees, etc... We found one that greatly improves reception but had to hack the connector plug so it's not a plug-n-play solution.

The Starmate using the home kit stand (purchased separately) fits quite nicely in the rectangle tray spot on the center console between the cup holders under the ashtray (I don't smoke). The 12v plug is right there, I placed the antenna next to the OEM nav antenna on the rear roof. I then ran the cable it inside the rubber conduit for the tailgate and down behind the plastic trim up to the drivers seat, under the seat and under the trim to the unit.

Some say you need to leave about 6" of cable exposed for the antenna, as you will see this is not really possible with the alpine roof other than running it sideways. I found there has been no difference better or worse in signal strength having the extra 6" and not leaving any.

I also purchased a 6' cable with male 1/8" stereo jacks to run from the audio out on the Starmate to the AUX input on the LR3.

The Starmate does have an FM transmitter if you want to avoid the gain issue with the AUX input.

Good Luck!

racingdc9

Full Access Member
Reaction score
DonA, have any pictures of wiring? I really want to get a starmate too.

Z

zdas04

I've got an XM Commander from XM Satalitte Radio. The installers were able to put it in without drilling any holes and the antenna seems about perfect.

One REALLY important point is that many of the wires on this vehicle have a dual function (power and signal). My installer tied into one of these and the computer went totally nuts. The truck was on a transport back to the dealer when the oil light came on from the screwy signals. The shop foreman at the dealer said the only safe place to get power is to go to the battery.

David

Attachments

• XMCommander.jpg
    XMCommander.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 211
N

neytas2000

A local Dealer here in Atlanta installed XM radio in a nice clean way. They put the unit (i think it was the Commander as Well - not 100% sure) below the ashtray. It looked like it came from England like that!!! I will look for some photos and post.

D

dedoman

Your Commander install looks great. Who installed? and did you consider the new RDS modulator which works directly with stock radio.?

Z

zdas04

A local (Farmington, NM, USA) stereo shop installed it. The RDS modulator was not an option when I had it done in Feburary. If I had it to do today, I'd sure look into that since I don't have any of the on-steering-wheel functions with XM that I have with FM or CD except volume.

David

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
RDS will only display some text on your head unit like a RDS capable FM radio station does... you won't get any more "control" from your streering wheel. And you'll have worse audio quality than AUX in.

W

w6000

grommet said:
RDS will only display some text on your head unit like a RDS capable FM radio station does... you won't get any more "control" from your streering wheel. And you'll have worse audio quality than AUX in.

But you will have volume control, wont you?

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Of course... it's just the main volume control. Doesn't care if it's AM, FM, AUX, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99