Yet another thread on brakes...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

iznof

Reaction score
Hey everyone,
I have to do my brakes by the end of this month. I am looking at doing a complete job all the way around, rotors + pads. I am looking for some advice....I think I have about three options.

1. Go to the dealer and pay upwards of 800 for an OEM set of brakes.
2. Get the EBC kit from Atlantic British-550ish and do it my self--Im pretty sure I could with some feedback.
3. Find a local non dealer alternative in Portland.

What do you guys think? How bad is it to get the old rotors off of these trucks?

D

discomike

What year is your truck, how mwchanical are you? If you want to save some money do them your self. Depending on wether you have a D1 or a D2 will determine how easy it will be.
Mike J.

iznof

Reaction score
Sorry,
Its a 99 D2 w/68k on it. I have done brake pads on hondas and complete jobs on 60's VW's. Any advice is greatly appreciated, also are there any odd tools that I might need to have--like over sized sockets etc.?

D

discomike

Well you have the easier model to do, this is good. The only tool other the a couple of wrenches is a impact driver with a large phillips head so that you can remove the disc from the hub. Otherwise it is a walk in the park.
Don't forget to do a comp;ete brake flush, you'll get a firmer pedal from it.
Mike J.

iznof

Reaction score
Mike,
Thanks for the reply! Should I get the Ebc kit or stick with OEM stuff, don't you run the EBC's? What will an impact wrench with the right bit set me back? Where can I find a PDF service manual on this truck?
Thanks!

D

discomike

I would step up to either the EBC or the High Performance set. I went slightly different, I used their Kevlar pads and DBA slotted and drilled rotors. Made a hugh difference for me, and if I had seen their add before I made my brake change I would have gotten their High Performance set because of how I drive.
What ever way you go make sure you do a complete brake flush, something around 3 pints of fluid.
Mike J.

B

blitzkreig

iznof said:
Where can I find a PDF service manual on this truck? Thanks!
do a search on eBay using the words "land rover discovery manual" . There is always quite an assortment.

iznof

Reaction score
...so many to choose from. Which seller did you use? Anyone want to send me a PDF as an Email attachment?

iznof

Reaction score
discomike said:
I would step up to either the EBC or the High Performance set. I went slightly different, I used their Kevlar pads and DBA slotted and drilled rotors. Made a hugh difference for me, and if I had seen their add before I made my brake change I would have gotten their High Performance set because of how I drive.
What ever way you go make sure you do a complete brake flush, something around 3 pints of fluid.
Mike J.

Where did you buy your stuff from?

D

discomike

I got my Kevlar pads from Atlantic British and my rotors from Expedition Exchange.
I did switch over to stainless steel brake lines and synthetic brake fluid to get a firmer brake pedal.
At this point, the pads have held up real well, very little dust and they thrive on heat.
Mike J.

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gvillalongo