Drivers wiper broken

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm up at a ski resort (first trip with my LR4) and my drivers side windshield wiper is broken! I went out last night, started the car, got out to brush snow. As I was brushing the passenger side, the passenger wiper wiped once, but not the driver one. Not sure what triggered that, because I did not turn on the wipers. After brushing, I went inside the car, turned on the wipers and the driver's side wiper was caught under the passenger side one, and would not wipe. I got out, loosened the drivers side wiper. Then it would wipe, sometimes being stuck in the vertical position, sometimes only wiping part ways.

I called up the dealer and they said it's possible the housing is loose and we can try popping out some cap at the end and tightening the bolt. We will try that... but it's like -8 below right now. We are up in a condo... anyway, not a fun situation.

Has anyone had issues with the windshield wipers before?

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm up at a ski resort (first trip with my LR4) and my drivers side windshield wiper is broken! I went out last night, started the car, got out to brush snow. As I was brushing the passenger side, the passenger wiper wiped once, but not the driver one. Not sure what triggered that, because I did not turn on the wipers. After brushing, I went inside the car, turned on the wipers and the driver's side wiper was caught under the passenger side one, and would not wipe. I got out, loosened the drivers side wiper. Then it would wipe, sometimes being stuck in the vertical position, sometimes only wiping part ways.

I called up the dealer and they said it's possible the housing is loose and we can try popping out some cap at the end and tightening the bolt. We will try that... but it's like -8 below right now. We are up in a condo... anyway, not a fun situation.

Has anyone had issues with the windshield wipers before?

there is a prior to sale bulletin for the dealer to torque these to 13lb-ft......i believe it is a 14mm metric socket......i would bet this is your problem

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score

well well well... this is the bulletin that I had asked my dealer to fix but they said my VIN is not showing up in their database to fix. This kind of ****** me off since I actually took it in. I guess a call to Land Rover customer service is in order!

My husband drove to a near by town to a Walmart, bought a 13mm socket wrench and tightened the bolt and that seemed to fix it. What a pain in the a$$. We are on vacation for crying out loud! And it was below zero out today... :mad:

suvowner

Full Access Member
Reaction score
well well well... this is the bulletin that I had asked my dealer to fix but they said my VIN is not showing up in their database to fix. This kind of ****** me off since I actually took it in. I guess a call to Land Rover customer service is in order!

My husband drove to a near by town to a Walmart, bought a 13mm socket wrench and tightened the bolt and that seemed to fix it. What a pain in the a$$. We are on vacation for crying out loud! And it was below zero out today... :mad:

the vin numbers that apply are listed in the bulletin.......

and it is a 13 mm socket, not 14mm as i stated earlier.......

my lr4 has not had that update performed either, my dealer just confirmed it.....but i checked my wipers and they were torqued to 13ft-lbs.....most likely yours were not....while your at it, go ahead and get some bosch icon blades, they perform better than any stock blade

ycharlie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can anyone provide a little more details as to how to check this out yourself? where is the bolt located?

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
can anyone provide a little more details as to how to check this out yourself? where is the bolt located?

The wiper arm connects to the motor, at the end of the wiper arm, or actually, the part that is connected to the body, just pop open the cover and torque-check the bolt that's connected to the wiper motor. Do you have a torque-wrench? If not, just have the dealer check for you.

BTW, it almost sounds like the OP turned the wipers ON before removing snow/ice whatever and that stripped the wiper arm. Always clear the windscreen with the heated windscreen and/or if you don't have the heated windscreen, put on defrost and wait until the snow/ice loosens up BEFORE turning the wipers on.

Disco Mike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't make any difference what vin, what year, model or manufacture, before every winter you should always tighten the nut so it won't slip loose under a load and always make sure the wiper blade is not frozen to the glass, both front and rear.

waltzonice

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It doesn't make any difference what vin, what year, model or manufacture, before every winter you should always tighten the nut so it won't slip loose under a load and always make sure the wiper blade is not frozen to the glass, both front and rear.

I'm sure this is good advice... but I want to add that in my 25 years of driving I have never tightened the nuts on the wiper, never checked to see if it is frozen to the windsheild... just tried to wipe and see if it works. Four cars, four different models, never had a broken wiper. Until the LR4. Just saying...

shantann

Reaction score
2011 LR4 Windshield wiper issue

All of the responses were correct in regard to the driver's side windshield wiper blade seemingly being stripped.....Mine wasn't stripped....just needed tightening at the base:
took protective cap off and tightened nut with a 13mm socket wrench and it fixed my issue......
I am disappointed to have such an issue with a new LR4.....I have never had this issue with any other car I have ever owned! oh well....hope for the best moving forward......

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM