How Do You Deal With Small Gas Tank on Road Trips?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LR4 in CO

Reaction score
Searched the LR4 forums for quite awhile before placing this post. Everything is a couple years old or older. Saw someone mention an extended range tank but nothing about purchasing & installing it.

I'm getting 19-20 actual Highway MPG (the computer reads about 10% high) in the central CO mountains, but the 23 gallon tank means I'd be always looking for the next gas stop when traveling in Wyoming or Montana.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you need a portable container:

i have a one gallon rotopax fuel container. It does not leak one drop of fuel or smell of fuel. full sun and never had a problem with it. I know they make bigger fuel containers and I am thinking of getting one.

http://home.rotopax.com/

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I carry a 5-gallon can in the trunk for "insurance" when I am expecting to be far away from gas stations for days - places like Death Valley and the Mojave Road, for example... Otherwise, for my type of off-roading (weekend warrior, usually) a tankful will take me wherever I want to go, with fuel to spare. Hasn't been as much of an issue as I thought it would be. For road trips, you'll still get about 300 - 350 miles on a tank. It's no hybrid, but not that bad.

LR4 in CO

Reaction score
Thanks! Didn't know about RotoPax.

If you need a portable container:

i have a one gallon rotopax fuel container. It does not leak one drop of fuel or smell of fuel. full sun and never had a problem with it. I know they make bigger fuel containers and I am thinking of getting one.

http://home.rotopax.com/

I didn't know about these. They look very impressive! I think 2 or 3 of the 2-gal. packs could do the trick for me. It costs more that way than a single 4-gal. pack or a couple 3-gal packs, but offers a lot more configuration & storage flexibility.

I would just have to remember to add STA-BIL or drain them every few months to keep the gasoline in them from going bad.

eljefe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i used mine strapped to the fender or my dual sport motorcycle and went all over with it. sitting in the sun and just about 6 inches from my exhaust pipe it did great. not once ever spilling a drop of fuel and never expanding.

I am not sure it the bad would ever go bad due to it being air tight.

I heard they redesigned the spout for California emissions and some people are having problems with the new spout design when pouring fuel from the container but that does not create a problem storing fuel. I think you can also buy the old style spout for now.

Good luck.

machmike

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I didn't know about these. They look very impressive! I think 2 or 3 of the 2-gal. packs could do the trick for me. It costs more that way than a single 4-gal. pack or a couple 3-gal packs, but offers a lot more configuration & storage flexibility.

I would just have to remember to add STA-BIL or drain them every few months to keep the gasoline in them from going bad.

Or just use them to top off a tank periodically? :smile:

cperez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I heard they redesigned the spout for California emissions and some people are having problems with the new spout design when pouring fuel from the container but that does not create a problem storing fuel. I think you can also buy the old style spout for now.

Good luck.

We have the same regulations in Maryland. I went to the neighborhood hardware store and was griping about it with one of the guys who works there. He smiled knowingly and led me over to a display of specially packaged and labeled "WATER CONTAINER" replacement nozzles (old school style). They just happen to fit the standard plastic gas containers...imagine that.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9