Installation question: lamp guards and rear access ladder

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dad2five

Reaction score
Remove Full Length Rails-instruct Me

LR 4 Tank:
I wonder if you could scan the instructions for the full length rail install and send or post.

I have to remove my full length rails to install shorties so that I can install a BajaRack.

I see all the bolts to remove, but there appears to be a plastic housing on the front of the full length rails that covers a bolt and I don't know how to remove that housing.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Chris (dad2five)

dad2five

Reaction score
Does any one have any experience installing:

1. Rear lamp guards (Part No. VPLAP0009) and
2. Rear Access Ladder (Part No. AGP780020)

Found them cheaper, of course, than dealer. Install is expensive, thinking about doing it myself. Thanks in advance.
-----------
Haven't done it yet, but...

I have the ladder (AGP780020) in a box in my closet, and am planning on installing it this weekend. Will post my experience, with pictures if I can figure that out.

What I have learned about the install is this:
You will need to remove the handle housing above the license plate, you will need to drill two holes in the metal (in dimples that are pre-fabricated for the ladder) and you will need to be able to install two 'rivnuts' in those holes. Before I purchased the ladder I did not know what rivnuts were (I'm a lover not a mechanic), but figured it out after I got the kit, and installing them means either fabricating a tool or purchasing one for the 'rivnut'.

All in all it doesn't look too bad, and as I said I'll update you with my experience when I've earned it.
Chris
dad2five

dad2five

Reaction score
LR 4 Tank:
I wonder if you could scan the instructions for the full length rail install and send or post.

I have to remove my full length rails to install shorties so that I can install a BajaRack.

I see all the bolts to remove, but there appears to be a plastic housing on the front of the full length rails that covers a bolt and I don't know how to remove that housing.

Thanks for any info you can provide.
Chris (dad2five)

-----
Ummm, never mind. I grew some huevos and applied a small thin wedge-like tool to discover myself how to remove that housing. :proud:
Chris.

Attachments

• LR4 BR install remove long rail front housing.jpg
    LR4 BR install remove long rail front housing.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 180

*Knowledge*

Reaction score
Any pictures of the Rear Lamp Guard installed? Anyone?
The only pic I've seen is the factory image. I'd like to see a wider angle on the modification.

ThePecker

Reaction score
Any pictures of the Rear Lamp Guard installed? Anyone?
The only pic I've seen is the factory image. I'd like to see a wider angle on the modification.

Just picked my new LR4 this past weekend. My 4th LR and probably my favorite. I hope this gives you some idea of the rear lamp guard. Sorry it's not the best photo in the world.

Attachments

• LR4LampGuard.png
    LR4LampGuard.png
    935 KB · Views: 148

dipan

Reaction score
Just wanted to chime in that these guards may actually have some function. I was doubtful when I saw them in person. Molded plastic up against the face of the lamp just didn't seem confidence inspiring.

But ... I don't have these and my wife now has a focal star shaped crack just below the lower of the two round portions of the lamp, at the upper part of the square section. I think that the transverse "rung" between the round and square sections of the lamp could have saved it. So, I'm probably going to get these guards... I have already ordered a new lamp and will probably put on some LaminX film first for some added protection. Then I will pick up the lamp guards. I have been trying to locate the guards for the front also but cannot seem to find them.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM