Lr4 Mpg

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PeterA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a heavy foot and when I do a combination of highway and local driving I usually get either side of 300 miles to a tank and its take between 19.5/20.5 gallons to fill up. As long as gas stations are plenty I like to let the miles remaining get just below 10. I'm guessing I get 15mpg ..... the trip computer always says 18 or 19 which is impossible based on the other variables.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh man I feel bad about all the issues with your LR4. :-(

Thanks Fin. Took it back this morning, again..... :argh:

I will say that I have been getting about 270 out of my tank when it hits the "red" zone. Seems to be the best I can do. Even with the high average MPG. I would love it if I could get 300. Just can't seem to do it.

Fin: What was the hit you took with the 265/65 tires?

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Fin. Took it back this morning, again..... :argh:

I will say that I have been getting about 270 out of my tank when it hits the "red" zone. Seems to be the best I can do. Even with the high average MPG. I would love it if I could get 300. Just can't seem to do it.

Fin: What was the hit you took with the 265/65 tires?

Back again??? Wow!!!!!

Wow, I would expect you would get more? Even when I had my roof rack I was getting low 300s at least. I don't typically follow my gas mileage closely, but I think switching out my tires I lost around 2-3? I think the biggest hit has been my armor (sliders and skids).

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Back again??? Wow!!!!!

Wow, I would expect you would get more? Even when I had my roof rack I was getting low 300s at least. I don't typically follow my gas mileage closely, but I think switching out my tires I lost around 2-3? I think the biggest hit has been my armor (sliders and skids).

Yes, back again. AC quit working, again.

You know, I was thinking more about the whole tank size vs where it normally says we are empty. Did anyone ever try to run the tank out? I thought Umberto was talking about doing this just to see how much it actually used?

My thought on this is I wonder if the computer is acting like a battery in a cell phone that gets charged constantly before it is actually empty? If you were to run it through the red if it would re-calibrate what is actually "empty"?

This came to mind based also on how the computer system in the vehicle has memory set to the settings in the windows. You have to reset that if you are having window problems. Just not sure how you would do that with the gas tank other than running it empty?

rovernut

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes, back again. AC quit working, again.

You know, I was thinking more about the whole tank size vs where it normally says we are empty. Did anyone ever try to run the tank out? I thought Umberto was talking about doing this just to see how much it actually used?

My thought on this is I wonder if the computer is acting like a battery in a cell phone that gets charged constantly before it is actually empty? If you were to run it through the red if it would re-calibrate what is actually "empty"?

This came to mind based also on how the computer system in the vehicle has memory set to the settings in the windows. You have to reset that if you are having window problems. Just not sure how you would do that with the gas tank other than running it empty?

I know on my X5 I ran it to DTE -10 ONCE (I felt like Kramer in Seinfeld) and was sweating bullets hoping it wouldn't die on the side of the road. Most systems use an algorithm of vacuum pressure, fuel flow, RPM and speed so they're not measuring exact fuel burned (remember some is returned from the injection rack) and come up with an estimated DTE and MPG. Best way is the old fashion gallons in vs. miles driven to give you a real average MPG.

PeterA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The specs say the tank is 22.8 gallons. I got 20.6 in when the trip computer said 6 miles remaining. I'm thinking when the trip computer says 0 (or a flat line) you probably have about a gallon and a half remaining in the tank. I'm not sure how much of that the engine needs to keep running and wouldn't want whatever is sitting at the bottom of the tank to get into the engine so around 5 miles remaining is the lowest I'd like to see.

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Multiple times I've had 0-5 miles left remaining put in barely over 20 gallons.

epiclr4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So it sounds like the consensus is that running the truck to 0 is completely acceptable as there should be about 3 gallons left in the tank. No?

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM