LR4 Rust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

imcoop

Reaction score
What are people doing on their vehicles for rust? I have a 2014 LR4 with about 70k kms and the under side looks worse than the 13 year old car I just replaced. Is anyone else having rust issues?

DSC_0073.JPG

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've mentioned it before. My painted surfaces look immaculate after 3.5 years and 23k miles, but the underside was was showing surface rust after just two years. Every spring I now hit all areas that show rust with rust reformer.

I had an 2003 330i for 6 years and 60k miles of year round driving and it had basically no rust at all. My previous Porsche and current Miata (both bought as high mileage cars - 80k+) had/have zero rust to speak of after all those miles and 6-8 years.

So yeah, it's disappointing, but I try to stay on top of it. n

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On my LR3 (223K, good bit of beach driving) I have occasionally hit everything brown with rust reformer. Stuff turns it black and lasts a long time.

My gas tank plate did rust out once and I had to replace it. But that's after a lot of miles. I wasn't too concerned. It's been pretty solid overall, it's just when my mechanic has to loosen a nut that hasn't been touched in 200,000 miles... then he complains. :D

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 with 52k+ miles. Used a lot in winter on salted iowa roads. Garage kept (which can actually be worse for rust in some cases). Not especially good about washing the underside in winter.. (i should try harder)

IMG_20170405_200810_zpsnmxnvpxc.jpg

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2013 with 52k+ miles. Used a lot in winter on salted iowa roads. Garage kept (which can actually be worse for rust in some cases). Not especially good about washing the underside in winter.. (i should try harder)

That's what mine looks like for the most part. But as you can see in that photo there are rust spots on the frame. Those are the ones I am talking about. I'll take photos when I swap out my winter tires this weekend.

crash1121

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Quickly snapped this pic of my '13 with 39k miles. It's been both a CA & CO vehicle, and I do try to power wash the undercarriage after ski trips and when there has been mag chloride/salt on the roads.

7957c0e2adfe00b4959e9f9abd7db3e3.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

sceh

Reaction score
Yes and of course it has rust - it's a Land Rover. When I called the factory they said 'well no-one else complains..' So that's all right then..
Treating it is a waste of time btw since it is caused by electrostatic effect when aluminium and steel contact. The effect is weird because you can have a bad contact at the front of the car and the roof rack will corrode. There is NO cure short of rebuilding the car and making sure all contact points are eliminated. You don't need much contact either since this is an electric effect. Sell it because it will drop to bits over time

sceh

Reaction score
The correct name is bimetallic corrosion (see here http://www.npl.co.uk/upload/pdf/bimetallic_20071105114556.pdf)
There is nothing you can do practically. Spending money on anti-corrosion treatments or liquids is a waste of money. YOu could go back to the dealer but he won't understand so go to the factory and you might just get someone who knows and admits it happens. It is well-known and LR tend to ignore it.

Sell it because it really will fall apart and if you thought you had bought this to last ten years, think again.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72