My LR4 next to a new Discovery...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I really like the D5 and priced one out multiple times. I crawled around in one, pushed all the buttons, and at the end of the day I just couldn't justify the price compared to the LR4 I have now. Also coming from a Jeep JK I really like the boxy look of the LR4.

I use my LR4 for business and it's depreciated so it would have made sense for me to get a new D5. Test drove it 4 times and every time I got back in my LR4 to drive home I knew I liked the LR4 better. For the 2017 tax year, I'd rather send the IRS more money than drive the D5.

nhskibm

Reaction score
If LR didn't screw up the towing ability of the LR4 I wouldn't have given it back to the dealer a month ago when I ordered a D5. Agree that the stock one looks boring as all hell so we went as far overboard as we could go with our build:

Black on Black on Black on Black with 2 speed transfer, advanced towing, etc.

Is it the same as the LR4, no. Does it allow me to stand up a couple bikes inside and tow my 25' AS? Yes. Mind you I traded the LR4 AND a RRSS toward this which ironically the D5 is a true blend of these two vehicles - though stylistically closer to the RRSS. Plus I look forward to spending $.20 less a gallon on Diesel and getting 10mpg more...

And no, it doesn't replace what the LR4 is, hell my better half may have been crying when we turned the LR4 in but the D5 will do everything we "need" it to do and thus made the tough decision.

Build date 9/22
Delivery date 11/1

Will update with real world experience once we have it...

Pic of the build:

IMG_3669.jpg

nhskibm

Reaction score
LR screwed up the towing ability of the LR4?

While you can tow 7700 tongue weight on their stupid hitch in a hitch is 550. Most other domestic cars give you at least 10% of tow weight as tongue weight and most US trailers take advantage of that.

Also weight distribution on the hitch within a hitch doesn't work because your pushing on a pin.

So I had to add a curt bolt on the the frame to get where I needed to be - which is a future rust issue in NH.

If I didn't want my Rover to tow I'd have kept the LR4.

mbw

Full Access Member
Reaction score
says 770 on my hitch. 10% of 7700.

i know people gripe about the towing, but I have never had an issue with the stock setup and a very heavy 26' boat. I would consider a Rhino hitch if this one starts giving me trouble.

nhskibm

Reaction score
says 770 on my hitch. 10% of 7700.

i know people gripe about the towing, but I have never had an issue with the stock setup and a very heavy 26' boat. I would consider a Rhino hitch if this one starts giving me trouble.

Yes, it's stamped 770 on the hitch but read your manual - 550. There are exhaustive threads on this topic on about every Rover Forum.

Cliffs notes:

So, are you likely OK... yeah, probably. But, if you ever have an issue and DOT gets involved they'll point to your 550. I chose to do a curt hitch because got me closer to the 835lb weight I needed and ability to use WD.

Also, boats are likely under 500 on the tongue because of how they are built so you'd likely be OK as well.

Note that my LR4 did tow it just fine but I made the choice to go to D5 to avoid any potential liability issue and the bolted on frame rust issue - and the TD6.

Last edited:

jpotter0

Reaction score
I'm not up on the latest Rover models. The LR4 certainly looks good. I drove a Discovery 1 for two years while I save the $$ to rebuild the power train in my 97 Defender 90. It now has a total of 278,000 miles. I upgraded the engine to the 4.6 L. That helps a lot in the up and down hill driving in northern NM. It still looks pretty good after 20 years. It's pretty eye catching. I frequently get approached by strangers who think it is older than it is because of the classic design. I've been driving Land Rovers (Series II) since 1964 with many an adventure on southern Colorado Jeep trails. Love 'em.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72