My LR4 next to a new Discovery...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

viper_iii

Reaction score
Comparison - on Disco versions

I've always thought the newer body styles even on the RRs have a pretty close relationship to the Fords

there are differences - but the style really similar compared to the previous generations.

-- Interior / Engine / Drivetrain - All massively different.. from the two pictured on left side.

comparison.png
(note images are not scale at all!)

but interestingly enough - price is very close on the left two as well.:
http://www.unhaggle.com/compare/2017-Land Rover-Discovery-vs-2017-Ford-Explorer/

Personally after having a few D2/LR3/4 and RR's I'm not planning to purchase a Discovery 5.
v6 works fine - but just doesn't have the feel of the V8
- and No low Range in Standard Versions of 4 (only HD)
some reports say D5 will have Low Range Standard and rear locker option (expect HD Version)

I'm waiting to see what they do with the Defender in 2018-2020

I personally prefer the power of the V8 and specifically the 510hp SC version of Full Size.

viper_iii

Reaction score
A FORD EXPLORER can cost $61,000?? Holy ****, where've I been?

that made me laugh too..

comparing the Platinum model to probably Base D5 probably - but it was good to see them side by side.

Still think the interior / engine / suspension - pretty much everything else is nicer in Rover..

Except media / entertainment - LR seems to lag pretty behind the others on that one.
Sound is good - but the Unit used is always generations behind Audi/BMW and others.

nicko

Reaction score
Big thumds down on the Discovery, good 2 see I'm not the only one who thinks so. Likewise (roverman), gonna put another 100,000 miles on my LR4. She's done it all 4 the first 96,000 miles and still looks as goid as the day i bought it - and still turns heads. Thanx 4 posting toddjb122.

pceresia

Reaction score
After owning a series of Ford Explorers I bought my first LR4 in 2010 when they came out (couldn't buy a Defender in Canada). I replaced it in 2016 so I guess I've had the first and last editions. Great vehicle even if I don't take full advantage of its potential. All of the new Land Rover models but especially the Discovery series look like Ford Explorers. Why would you buy a "luxury" vehicle that looks like a "Ford". Like many of you, I plan on keeping my LR4 HSE for a long, long time.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just picked up my LR4, pulled the D5 loaner next to it and took some pics of my own.
Thanks. That's a good white vs. white comparison.
I think they both look good from the front, but the LR4 rules the booty shot. That D5 has the ass-end of a mini-van. Boring.

Last edited:

viper_iii

Reaction score
just got a loaner myself this week.. in fact right after posting..

kinda disappointing MSRP ~62,500
No air suspension - didn't notice Low range but will check
No rear / 3rd row seats

Definitely bigger than I thought and Yes - MINI VAN rear end is definitely noticeable in person..
also the rear spoiler I thought was big on the Older RRS models - this rear spoiler is HUGE

Not a fan but as a loaner its fine

Interior looks great though! So there is a Plus in my H8r rant!

had they kept some of the LR4 features in the new body style (even the Late Model LR4s were losing them though)

----
Reminds me of some family members that just wanted the LR4 without all the offroad stuff.
they would've been fine without air / 4x4 / all that stuff -
"...2wd model available...?? I'd buy that... "

So they listened - Took out all the things Rover Fans enjoy (low range / CDL / AirSuspension (not all love that) - & Said - Here we go...
Oh and BTW - we raised the price! Enjoy!

PaulLR3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks. That's a good white vs. white comparison.
I think they both look good from the front, but the LR4 rules the booty shot. That D5 has the ass-end of a mini-van. Boring.

I hate that rear silver skid plate, the same one you see on Fords, Buicks, Kias & Hyundais.

upload_2017-9-8_8-7-55.jpeg

2017_buick_encore_angularrear.jpg

SmTnIfvZSRvRd7UU7B-aWg9gymQ3jmKqG4alzvi0lAY1HkM3km.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72