Timing Chain repair costs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just for follow up on my post before. I don't have any additional insight into why my 2013 (and others) seem to share part numbers with effected vehicles, yet are outside the tsb range.

That information came from the land rover parts database, Microcat which is software that runs on windows and gives you diagrams and vin ranges for each part number.

My 2013 has about 64k miles now and I haven't had any issues or noises, so I will just continue to hope that it is ok.

Mine is going in next week for the timing chain. It has been making the noise but no issues. I don't have the time to do it myself. I was able to get LRNA to cover a portion of the expense by opening a case. You can also elect to join the class action suit in NJ being pursued on it. I have a long standing relationship with one of the service advisors and he mentioned to me they've had 3-4 trucks where the chain was so bad, yet did not snapped, it created enough play in the timing cover which oblonged the retaining bolts. Which meant only a new block/engine was the fix. He said that was all extended warranty trucks... ;-) My feeling would be if you are on the fence, get it done. Replacing the engine is just too costly and it seems that "waiting" for it to show is also a costly strategy. I'm at 83K miles.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also Dealer cost here is $2900 as quoted though they put an asterisk next to that...

ttforcefed

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is going in next week for the timing chain. It has been making the noise but no issues. I don't have the time to do it myself. I was able to get LRNA to cover a portion of the expense by opening a case. You can also elect to join the class action suit in NJ being pursued on it. I have a long standing relationship with one of the service advisors and he mentioned to me they've had 3-4 trucks where the chain was so bad, yet did not snapped, it created enough play in the timing cover which oblonged the retaining bolts. Which meant only a new block/engine was the fix. He said that was all extended warranty trucks... ;-) My feeling would be if you are on the fence, get it done. Replacing the engine is just too costly and it seems that "waiting" for it to show is also a costly strategy. I'm at 83K miles.
What year is urs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score

I'd agree. Especially if the truck is symptomatic. But I have a late 2013 (July) so I have to imagine I will be immune to the issue. I also have only 33k miles and no symptoms.

IslandStyle

Reaction score

Thanks for this. Just to restate, you contacted LRNA directly (vs the dealership) and opened a case stating your rig's VINs fell into range of the TSB on the 5.0 timing chain tensioners and levers? Just trying to determine my next steps. I'm at 167k on my '11 HSE and haven't stepped foot in my dealership in eons thanks to Atlantic British and a decent Euro Indy shop in town. I doubt they'd do anything special for me unless they were forced to :). I'm overdue a year in doing my timing chain service and glad I came across this thread by accident :/

Thanks in advance, NASdiesel.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for this. Just to restate, you contacted LRNA directly (vs the dealership) and opened a case stating your rig's VINs fell into range of the TSB on the 5.0 timing chain tensioners and levers? Just trying to determine my next steps. I'm at 167k on my '11 HSE and haven't stepped foot in my dealership in eons thanks to Atlantic British and a decent Euro Indy shop in town. I doubt they'd do anything special for me unless they were forced to :). I'm overdue a year in doing my timing chain service and glad I came across this thread by accident :/

Thanks in advance, NASdiesel.

Yes, correct. Logged a complaint, they assign a case number, then you negotiate with their adjuster. Conversely you could also join this class action suit: https://www.kgglaw.com/class-action/land-rover-and-jaguar-timing-chain-defect-class-action/

Or check your state laws for consumer protection. If LRNA had not done anything, I was going to file a 93A claim in MA, leveraging the TSB, etc for background.

I think your main battle with the LRNA route will be your mileage. They tried to push back ******* me for 80K miles, but then they adjuster/agent also claimed it "was the first time we've ever heard of this issue....". It is worth a try, if for no other reason than to make a decision about how you want to pursue it.

magus

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this information. It has helped me to get the process started. 2012 with 80k, so similar situation also with noise but no performance issues to date.

Oddly, i just had mine in for a pretty extensive 80k overhaul at a reputable LR 3rd party shop and they did not make any mention of the timing chain being a problem - even though I raised the issue.

You may not want to post the specifics but it would be good to know about what you got out of LR for the repair.

NASdiesel

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for posting this information. It has helped me to get the process started. 2012 with 80k, so similar situation also with noise but no performance issues to date.

Oddly, i just had mine in for a pretty extensive 80k overhaul at a reputable LR 3rd party shop and they did not make any mention of the timing chain being a problem - even though I raised the issue.

You may not want to post the specifics but it would be good to know about what you got out of LR for the repair.

I'll tell you/BBS once the final tally/work is completed. ;-) They are just getting to open up the engine now. I didn't have any performance issues either but the dealer who I ordered the truck new from and has done all factory service, as well as a new water pump last year, was the one to call it out based on audible noise. It is pretty clear to me as well.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vintage99