Lug nut Mystery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Delray

Reaction score
My question is the OEM lug nut threads on the LR3 2005.

When I search compatibility I am getting M12 x 1.5 thread for 2005, but 2006 and up is M14 x 1.5 thread pitch? Did they change to a wider bolt in 2006 for the LR3?

These are for aftermarket rims that will require an acorn style, but I will need to get the correct thread pitch and bolt width.

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
M14 x 1.5 internal thread on all 3's

My 2005 LR3 has the M14 x 1.5 internal thread; maybe there is some commercial coil spring model in the UK with something different but I doubt that. LR UK did first come out with black painted steel nuts but soon switched to the stainless steel cap style as we here are used to.

Per the link below, this single sheet pdf provides dimensions of the LR part number RRD500290 lug nut on vehicles from MY 2005 to 2008, (up to VIN 8A450459). From VIN 8A450460, the part number is RRD500590.

Visually, there is no apparent difference between the two part numbers. The dimensions appear identical as well. The shape, size, and profile of the Stainless Steel "hat" appears identical.

There are I presume differences in metallurgy to reduce corrosion and swelling of the hat or perhaps better sealing between the inside surface of the hat and the steel of the lug nut body. The reality is the differences are not immediately obvious however.

A 22 mm six point half inch or larger socket drive fits over the lug nuts. I use a nominal 36" long breaker bar with the 22mm socket - any shorter bar, best you be in shape. Depending upon your source, for both alloy and steel wheels, the lug nut torque value appears to be 103 lbf ft, (140 Nm); others suggest first tighten to 96 and then finish at 110 lbf ft, (130 and 150 Nm).

http://bit.ly/LQkmJM

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
M14 x 1.5 internal thread is what you need

Re the link below, under the LR3 Miscellaneous album, towards the bottom of the album, there are two files related to OEM wheels and another related to wheel term definitions such as offset and the like. That may be of interest to you.

I did click on your wheel nut link and look at it. Near the top of the page that opens up is a section that says "Check for Fit. When I called up 2005 Land Rover LR3, the output said that the M12 x 1.5 nuts will NOT fit. I would say that info is correct. You instead need the M14 x 1.5 internal threaded nuts.

As to the lug wrench, it will be OK, however a 36" breaker bar that you probably already have works even better. I find having the wrench handle near 90 degrees to the socket is more effective. You are removing wheel nuts off something in weight closer to a Kenworth than a Civic - well it can seem that way at times and 48" is even better.

You might also look in the albums in the link below for jacks. With air suspension, due to the increased articulation, getting a wheel actually off the ground can be a challenge.

For routine wheel changes, I use two jacks; a trolley jack under the frame to support the vehicle weight and a bottle jack under the respective A arm to lift the rubber off the ground an inch or so.

http://bit.ly/14WWDgQ

Delray

Reaction score
Amazon won't have any of these lug-nuts as compatible because they are Acorn type, and they only go with the OEM specs, which have a flat vs. acorn bottom.

When I did an eBay search, it gives me the 12 x 1.5? That is where my confusion started...
http://www.ebay.com/sch/Wheels-Tire...selfil=1,2,3&selvel=2005~Land%20Rover~LR3~-~-

I am going to order the 14x1.5 set also, and just send back whatever does not fit.

Last edited:

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wheels may take some research as well

You may not yet have had time to look at the wheel design offsets and ratings of the stock LR wheels in that LR3 Miscellaneous album link.

Of particular note is the 940kg load rating, a number no other Land Rover product exceeds and one no Jeep or Toyota will ever require - perhaps the Mercedes G Wagon however.

Because of the 4 wheel independent air suspension and its inherit wide degree of articulation, plus the stiff frame and relatively low centre of gravity, the 3 can be found in more difficult off road scenarios. Often only two of the wheels are on the ground and on the rare occasion only one. This means higher than may be common bending forces are applied to a wheel rim or rims; hence the required load rating and why the OEM lug nuts have the washers and are heavier than the usual lug nut.

There are also strong arguments for retaining stock tyre sizes and in the case of the 3, the additional clearance normally gained by going with say 32" is not necessary as there is no front or rear differential hanging down plus the air suspension allows one to lift the body relative to the wheel hub so ground clearance tends to be better than many, particularly when the extended height feature kicks in should the 3 detect that it is grounding.

Attachments

• LR3 on dirt  front left wheel lifted IMG_0924copy.jpg
    LR3 on dirt front left wheel lifted IMG_0924copy.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 39
  • D4 on 25 degree side slope.jpg
    D4 on 25 degree side slope.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 43

Delray

Reaction score
I didn't realize the LR3 would extend even higher if it detects grounding. That is pretty cool.

I also appreciated the link to the OEM lug nut specs. I was able to cancel the 12 x 1.5 and the 14mm x 1.5 is already ordered. I worry they may be a little short as they are 35.6mm /1.4 inches long whereas OEM are 46mm / 1.8 inches. I have to go with acorn style as the wheels I am getting (rated at 998kg) do require an acorn or extended thread nut. I hope the Gorilla ones won't be too short.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004U3THY8/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
http://www.sfxperformance.com/parts/GOR71643NBC.htm

bbyer

Full Access Member
Reaction score
1.9" long available

The 3/4" Hex Lug Nuts section on the Gorilla website shows both 1.4" and 1.9" as being available both in chrome and black.

The 1.4" length seem short to me. How long you need depends in part upon the thickness of the wheel so to speak, but again, 1.4" seems too short.

The LR nuts are actually open ended; the stainless cap over makes the nut seem closed, but it is not.

You can confirm that yourself by removing an existing nut, sticking a pen up inside and then measuring the exterior. The difference will be the thickness of the stainless cap.

This whole wheel thing is very tricky - seems easy until you actually start to understand what the factors involved.

Incidentally, many non stock wheels will not fit over the brakes as the diameter of the disc calipers is bigger than usual if you have the V8 petrol engine. The V6 has a smaller rotor than the V8 so more non stock wheels do fit than on the V8.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com/qrg-lug-nuts-3-4

Delray

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how this all goes together (or doesn't). I pulled one of my OEM lugs this evening and measures how much of the bolt is threaded into the lug. It is about 3/4" or 19mm of the bolt that is actually threaded inside the lug. As you point out, I have not idea how the aftermarket wheel will compare to the OEM wheel depth/thickness at the bolt hole.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72