Homelink programming question...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got a new garage door opener.
perviously all 3 homelink buttons were programmed to other devices.
I want to replace one of them with the new garage opener.

I followed the manual and it is not working.
It is possible that my new Chamberlain garage door opener doesn't work with the LR3 without a repeater (I have seen some posts stating some cars older than 2011 won't work).

However, I came across this video on the LR3 which states that if you want to program a button that has previously been programmed, you have to clear all the buttons first. (that would mean reprogramming all buttons, not just the one I am replacing).

Just curious if anyone found this to be the case. Don't want to blow out all 3 programs if not needed, but it isn't a dealbreaker...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXlejxus8sE

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to read the manual on your new garage door. Mine has a "learn mode" that has to be selected at the console/motor before programming anything.

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It should be possible to reprogram just a single Homelink button of you want (just keep pushing it for 30 seconds or so.... Instructions should be in the manual.) However, if you purchased a new Chamberlain unit with MyQ technology, you will more than likely be unable to program it into your Homelink. You'll need to get a repeater to be able to do so. I have a 2013 LR4 and was unable to program my Home Depot purchased Chamberlain opener late last year, until I got the repeater, then I had no problem. Homelink is aware that even newer Land Rovers are incompatible, so they will send you the repeater kit free of charge for just the cost of shipping if you call them to ***** about your 2013 not working...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Might want to read the manual on your new garage door. Mine has a "learn mode" that has to be selected at the console/motor before programming anything.
Thanks - read the manuals for both. And it does indeed have a learn mode. Was wondering if I have to erase all my settings first, if I am going to program a button that was already programmed. (As mentioned in video) At this point I think I'll try that today and just suck it up having to reprogram all the buttons if it works.

It should be possible to reprogram just a single Homelink button of you want (just keep pushing it for 30 seconds or so.... Instructions should be in the manual.) However, if you purchased a new Chamberlain unit with MyQ technology, you will more than likely be unable to program it into your Homelink. You'll need to get a repeater to be able to do so. I have a 2013 LR4 and was unable to program my Home Depot purchased Chamberlain opener late last year, until I got the repeater, then I had no problem. Homelink is aware that even newer Land Rovers are incompatible, so they will send you the repeater kit free of charge for just the cost of shipping if you call them to ***** about your 2013 not working...
Thanks for that tip!
I had heard someone else got one free, now I know how. ;)
Still hope I don't need it...

I did get a new MyQ opener and have to say I'm impressed. The smartphone integration that lets you see if you left the door open (and close/open it) from the app is impressive. It also has a mode where after a set amount of time the garage will close on it's own. As someone who has gotten home from work and realized the garage was open all day....those are nice features.

trickblue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a Chamberlain GDO and mine was previously programmed to another device...

You need to find the learn button ON the GDO. For mine I had to take the light cover off.

Hit that button, then go to your car and hold down the Homelink button you want to assign it to. When the garage door responds, you are good to go...

You have about 30-45 seconds after you hit the learn button on your GDO...

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Okay, here's the update.

1) I tried clearing all my homelink programming but that didn't solve my problem. It just (unfortuantely) means I have to reprogram the other two buttons. I should note, though, that I think the video is correct. I didn't get from the slow blink to the fast blink LED previously, but I did once I cleared everything.

2) I called Chamberlain and they were very helpful and since I am driving a 2007-2009 Land Rover vehicle ;) they were able to send me the repeater for a $7 shipping charge. In all honestly, I paid $250 for the opener and I'm going to buy a second $200 one for the other door. If they don't work with our cars they should be giving that thing away free anyway.

I'll post if the repeater does not work, but by all accounts it's the solution. BUT it will mean that my battery backed garage door opener will not work with a power outage! (from the Homelink, anyway, but that's okay. because the repeater has to be plugged in and no, I'm not putting a UPS in my garage)

Last edited:

umbertob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I actually kept one of the Chamberlain openers in the glove box of my LR4, specifically to use in case of a power outage. What really gets me is that my wife's Homelink in her 2012 Ford works flawlessly with the new MyQ opener, but the one on the newer LR4 needs the silly repeater.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72