15,000 mile oil change?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rover7777

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A few days past my one year anniversary and 27,000 miles. I've changed the oil every 7500 miles and am very happy to report no problems or issues with my LR4.

Will be bringing it in for the 1yr service along with 30k oil change in a couple of weeks.

still-one

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Rob,

My BMW also says every 15,000 miles. But even my service advisor tells me that if it was his BMW, he'd change it half point.
V/r,
Chris
Your BMW is a bit different than my last two. The engines computer told you when it was time to change oil based on your driving habits and time. If you wanted the oil changed prior to when onboard computer determined it was time, I had to pay for the oil change, it was not part of the covered service.

NaraBronzeLR4

Reaction score
When I bought my LR4 I could have sworn the dealer told me I just had to change the oil "yearly", but I just checked and my 2010 LR4 service book clearly recommends changing the oil at 6months and/or 7500 miles. I'm at 11k miles and 11 months of driving and was going to bring it in for the complete yearly service soon. Should I wait another month instead? Feeling kind of guilty for missing the first oil change now....

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I guess I would wait the extra month at this point. I have repeatidly asked my dealership service area, sales staff and general manager about the 15,000 mile or 1 year service. They stand behind that. I have also read the information on the Land Rover USA website, it says 15000 or 1 year also.

I still think it is crazy, but I'm willing to give it a try. I doubt I will keep the truck longer than 5 - 7 years and I will get an extened warranty before my 4 years are up on the truck.

I'm at 9500 today after 8 months of owenership. I'm going to ride out the next 4 months and then get my truck in for the first service.

Rob

NaraBronzeLR4

Reaction score
I guess I would wait the extra month at this point. I have repeatidly asked my dealership service area, sales staff and general manager about the 15,000 mile or 1 year service. They stand behind that. I have also read the information on the Land Rover USA website, it says 15000 or 1 year also.

I still think it is crazy, but I'm willing to give it a try. I doubt I will keep the truck longer than 5 - 7 years and I will get an extened warranty before my 4 years are up on the truck.

I'm at 9500 today after 8 months of owenership. I'm going to ride out the next 4 months and then get my truck in for the first service.

Rob

Looks like I misread my service manual also and was reading the LR2 service schedule. Just had mine done at the dealer today and confirmed it's 15k miles or one year, whichever comes sooner...

CaptainSpalding

Explorer
Reaction score
Rule of thumb: On a normal car, it was always an unwritten rule to get the oil changed every 3,000 miles. Most car manuals actually say recommended milage for oil change is 5,000 miles. However, when you buy a brand new car, you have to break in the engine and transmission (nice and easy) for the first 1000 miles. That means no hard acceleration, no going over 80 mph, and try to utilize all 6 gears. Breaking in the engine creates metal filings inside the engine, therefore, every car buff knows to get the oil changed after the first 1,000 miles. After that it's every 3,000 miles.
Not wanting to step on any toes, but . . .

There was a time when a 3000 mile oil change interval was the norm, but for modern cars it is overkill.

Ford Model A: oil change interval of 500 miles. There was no oil filter. Single viscosity oil formulation was primitive compared to what is available today.

My other car is a 1973 Volkswagen Thing. Air-cooled Volkswagen motors have a specified oil change interval of 3000 miles. A step up from the Model A, an air-cooled VW has an oil strainer which is to be cleaned at each oil change, but no filter per se. With more than 21 million Beetles produced, it's easy to see how the 3000 mile rule of thumb was born. By comparison, a typical Detroit motor of the same vintage had a 6000 mile recommended oil and filter change.

Today, more than 35 years later, motor oil has additives that do a great job of holding dirt and crud in suspension. Synthetic oil is more resistant to breakdown and sludge formation. Filters are more sophisticated. Machining tolerances are tighter all around. Metallurgy is much advanced. All of these factors contribute to a lengthening of the oil change interval.

3000 miles is right on the money for an old Beetle. It's a waste of time and money for an LR4, IMHO.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks! I never quite thought about it like that. It all makes sense when you present it like that, but it still flies in the face of everything I learned over the last 44 years. I will have to retrain the brain to make the adjustment.

Rob

psc

Reaction score
One issue that needs to be taken into account due to the DI system is the increased risk of oil dilution (by fuel) when the vehicle is predominatley used for short trips (exacerbated by cold weather). Although the AJV8 Gen III engine uses spray guided injection there is still a risk of dilution.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA