1996 Disco security system? What is this wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

primesuspect

Reaction score
I have been trying to track what I am almost certain a security system issue. I have the entire car and dash dismantled in order too reach all electrical systems and wiring. I have a Rave workshop manual with no wiring diagrams that i have found. I also have a 98 LE with basically the same equipment to refer visually.

What I know at this point.

The car will run fine briefly(2-3 minutes tops) and other times it will shut off and/or not crank or start. A security system relay is heard clicking under the dash during all times of the malfunction. As soon as it stops it will crank and start.

My drivers side door locks but the sill button does not move when using the two button control. All of the doors will lock if the sill button is depressed manually.

I hear relay click under the driver seat when I press the switch on the drivers door but not the other doors or Bonnet switch.

Before I start testing door switches and such I need to identify an extra yellow wire that is bundled with the other wiring that is routed through the AMR 4885 ECU. It has a pin connection attached to it that looks as though it would fit in one of the two wire connectors on the ECU but I do not see a wire that corresponds to it on the 98 to know where it goes.

If anyone knows of a good color coded wiring diagram or an ETM in existence that would be of great appreciation.

If I need to go to the stealer-ship to have the system reset I want to make sure all of my connections are good first.

Attachments

• PA091096.JPG
    PA091096.JPG
    94.1 KB · Views: 58

alzerom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hook up a VOM meter- set it to 12 volts DC: is there voltage? now do some of the lock, unlock, engine start, open and close things until your meter gives you a clue? Examine the end connector with a magnifier for evidence that it "used to be connected to something". It may not have ever been connected to anything but was a reserve wire for an option you don't have? No one leaves a wire dangling with that connector and have voltage on it. Is there evidence on the outside of the connector that a spark has occurred?

MonLand

Reaction score
Since I was looking this exact question up a few minutes ago, I confirm that this wire is supposed to not be connected to anything. Yes, I do realize this is very weird indeed, but I have the same "setup" on my 1996 D1 (NAS V8 4.0).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sawcut