20 inch mud terrain success

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Wheelan

Reaction score
I thought I would pass on this info below, as recently posted by me on AULRO.

Hi all. As with most others, Discos and tyres have been doing my head in for years. Last Disco tried the GOE wheels with and AT Toyo 2 285/60/18, ok but not as aggressive as I would have liked for a second set of wheels. And on that, the range of 18 inch aggressive, high load tyres that will fit is limited to the BFG.
Current Disco (2015 HSE)has 20s, and while I wasn't happy that it was coming with 20s when purchasing the car, after some research came across a heap of versatile tyres in 265/50/20 and 285/50/20 which several have fitted with great success. When I came across the Atturo in the 285 size with a load rating of 119 I thought I would give them a go. So do they fit?? Yes with success. Dropped it to the bump stops and had only minor rubbing in the right rear front liner, which as you will see from the photos will cause no harm. Everything above this height was clear.
SO, now you can have your second set of mud wheels, with legal wheels, legal size, great load rating for cheap. BTW picked the set of RRS 20 x 9.5 53 offset for $400 on ebay and the tyres were $290 each fitted!! I know everyone that has spent the $$$ on the 18s will say "my sidewall is bigger, and will have a bigger footprint", and yes you are correct, but for the most of us that just want a solid set of aggressive tyres, this ticks the box, and so what if I ding the rims up a bit, I bought them scratched anyway.

And before you ask......yes they are noisier than the standard tyres!!!.....funny that!

See link for pics https://photos.app.goo.gl/EpTnkQFkyYlveAJm2 note I removed the rear liner and refitted wheel for clearance pics

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll look into that size. My current 275/55r20’s are wearing down. I’ve seen 275/60’s fitted, but never 285.

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’ll look into that size. My current 275/55r20’s are wearing down. I’ve seen 275/60’s fitted, but never 285.

I currently a 285/50r20 Cooper Zeon LTZ. they have over 50K miles on them and are in the process of replacement research. Fantastic all around tire. Living up north. The mud can be fun the spring. I've never been in a situation, where I though the tire couldnt handle it. Or the tire were at fault for poor traction.

I want to run the 275/55r20 Duratrac's, but heard they will rub considerable more at full lock. Any truth to that?

jmars

Reaction score
A 275/55 or 265/55 is an dream for me. I’m mentally battling in what I want to do next as I too have 20s.

My issue is that I don’t want to run a full time lift and I’m not looking to spend then coin on Compos unless I really have to.

I feel 20s are still being felt out....something will come out and we will all rejoice....I hope

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I currently a 285/50r20 Cooper Zeon LTZ. they have over 50K miles on them and are in the process of replacement research. Fantastic all around tire. Living up north. The mud can be fun the spring. I've never been in a situation, where I though the tire couldnt handle it. Or the tire were at fault for poor traction.

I want to run the 275/55r20 Duratrac's, but heard they will rub considerable more at full lock. Any truth to that?

I’m running a rod lift full time. No rubbing issues. But do take into consideration that the 275/55 size in Duratracs don’t come in an LT size, but a “passenger”. They’ve worked fine for me, but LR recommends going at least a D range. E is most common when going larger. I haven’t found an E range mud tire in a 20” diameter. If I drop to 18’s I’ll certainly have many E range options.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A 275/55 or 265/55 is an dream for me. I’m mentally battling in what I want to do next as I too have 20s.

My issue is that I don’t want to run a full time lift and I’m not looking to spend then coin on Compos unless I really have to.

I feel 20s are still being felt out....something will come out and we will all rejoice....I hope

I’ve considered dropping $1300+ on the Compos. But plenty of other things I could do truck related with that money

jaguardoc504

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m running a rod lift full time. No rubbing issues. But do take into consideration that the 275/55 size in Duratracs don’t come in an LT size, but a “passenger”. They’ve worked fine for me, but LR recommends going at least a D range. E is most common when going larger. I haven’t found an E range mud tire in a 20” diameter. If I drop to 18’s I’ll certainly have many E range options.
Lift with rods, or Electronic lift?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lift with rods, or Electronic lift?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

No electronic gap lift. Prior owner had this done on mine and I wasn’t a fan. It would throw random EAS faults. Using Johnson’s 2.5”. No issues.

ncburch22

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Came across an older thread from a UK forum. Disco4 owner fitted Toyo MT’s in a 32.1” size(275/55). I’m tempted to go this route if I don’t have to add spacers

18B401AB-D37E-4BC8-B513-3C81089F4084.jpeg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72