2001 Range Rover HSE Check Engine Light

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

umoms

Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 Range Rover with 88k miles from a Public Auction. Well 2 days later it begins to ride rough and the Check Engine Light came on. I get the following codes.

P0303
P1319
P0301B
P0302
P1300

Thanks!

umoms

Reaction score
My mechanic says its the Fuel Injectors. Do I have to replace all of them? Is it easy to tell which ones are bad? Can anyone a good place to order the fuel injectors from ?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Just curious how he figures you fuel injectors are bad... did he pull them out and have them pressure tested?

I would bet on just cleaning the MAF.

umoms

Reaction score
The engine runs pretty rough......

Not sure how he came to conclusion. Will ask him today.

How is the pressure testing done? Is it a fairly simple process?
What equipment do you need?

umoms

Reaction score
Now he says its the ignition coil

According to him he has no fuel pressure tester to test the fuel injectors. But he said he took them out to clean them and now they are fine. But he says I need a ignition coil. Its a 2001 Range Rover 4.6 HSE with 88k miles.

Do you guy think he maybe right with that idea? Is it easy to tell if you have a bad ignition coil? Or do you guys still think to go for new plugs and wires?

umoms

Reaction score
Just another update. I wasnt getting any spark from one of the coils so I replaced it and cleared the codes.

Drove it 4 miles and I get the codes

P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1)
P0174 System Too Lean (Bank 2)

Cleared it and drove another 2 miles and same codes.

Any new thoughts?

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
Chatted with Chongo about this, and here is his reply:

Hope this helps
Ok PO171 per obd2 means too lean bank 1 and per obd2 PO174 means sys too lean bank 2.

PO171 per LR’s codes means system too rich bank 1
injector 8 excess emissions/ catalyst damaging level of misfire
Probably got one of the wires out of order, which is probably what set code # PO174 per LR’s codes means system too rich bank 2 multiplication injector adaptive fueling rich limit exceeded RH bank.

Land rover incorporates a plug firing system called “wasted spark” Designed by Bosch It works per this link.

http://forums.landroverworld.org/showthread.php?t=12020

You cannot get away with a single plug out of order or processor or CAT failures will be imminent, let alone detonation issues.

The only thing I know of that sets a PO171 code is when someone gets one of the wires out of order, a plug wire falls off or missing issues.

What sets a PO174 is either a plug not firing, a miss, a lean condition that the adaptive software in the processor cannot compensate for. The processor will then run in a open loop, after several attempts to correct it. also a injector that is stuck open will cause this but is rare. Chongo

umoms

Reaction score
One more update.

Took it to a exhaust shop and there was no leaks.
No air intake leaks.

Got new fuel in there.

I replaced the air filter. It was really old and dirty. I also cleaned out the MAFS with the MAFS cleaner. Cleared the codes and 5 Miles later and now I get

P0734 Gear 4 incorrect ratio

The other codes disappeared.

Also the plugs I have in there are Risks Leoni 2015 Silicon?
Those arent original plugs are they?

Fixing Range Rovers seems like a lot of fun!

Do you think this is a new issue? Or do I need to drive it a little more so it can learn everything?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
P0734 is normally a MAF Sensor issue... I would re-clean it, and clear the codes again.

Plugs should be Champion Non-Platinum for older LR's at least here in the USA

umoms

Reaction score
when cleaning the MAFS do I need to take it fully apart? I can see the MAFS without unplugging the connector. But to remove the connect it has some type of screw and Im sure what tool I need to unscrew it.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4