2004 discovery

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chongo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My wife wanted a Landrover and so we bought one. It is a 04 discovery 2 and has 29000 miles on it. It had a ticking sound in the engine at all engine speeds and frequency would increase as it accelerated. we took it to Land rover in encino and they said nothing was wrong with it. Then I took it to Land Rover in Thousand oaks ( thousand jokes ! ) and they said nothing was wrong with it, yet it had 25 psi less in # 6 cylinder on my compression test.
The service manager told me all he heard was the injector noises, which at idle would make a hard to hear buzzing noise, this was a loud tick every forth ****** of the engine cycle, I can tell this manager had had no injector expiriance what so ever. Needless to say, As long as we own it, It's never going back to Land rover again, they left off a bunch of hardware and broke the intrument dash top piece and left out alot of the hardware that holds engine parts down, and had the radio blasting on some spanish station when we picked it up from Land rover Encino Ca.
In short I pulled the engine and found it had been overheated, it explained the new water pump to me quite well. It had ring tenstion failure and the bore was slightly affected. but no slipped liners though.
A sunnen power hone and new rings brought me back into specifications, a new oil pump gear( old one was cracked into 2 pieces), and after $2167.00 in parts and machining it runs awesome. we are getting around 16 mpg the first week. we bought the vehicle in Immaculant condition and my wife loves it.
I didn't quite do everything by the book. I did do alot of modifications internally, and it looks like it paid off. It's vienna green and light green interior really looks sharp.
Some of the next modifications I'll do is serviceable u joints, especially the double cardian front driveline. I want to service all fluids and I'm kinda wondering what modifications or alterations will help us enjoy years of great reliability. so I sicerely appreciate all comments and ideas from anyone.
I'm also interested in what is the best scan tool to own and use for this vehicle ? I have a Snap - on Scanner and a Actron OBD2 scanners sun Scope and a snapon scope.
Thank you for your time and comments Brian aka Chongo.:bandit:

J

JoFizz

Chongo,

I saw your reply to my post, thanks. If you need owners stuff in my search for the service manual I called LR North Am and they gave me a website www.landrovertechinfo.com. It's a subscription site for mechanics. You sign up for free. The service stuff requires a subscription but there is owners info such as manuals that can be downloaded in PDF for free. Click the “View Owner Info” link at the top. Good luck

Fizz

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM