2006 LR3 Aftermarket Navigation System

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

A

A12LR3

Has anyone installed an aftermarket nav. system? Was wondering if anyone installed it in the small compartment where the factory one would be installed. Any comments appreciated. Thanks

dbregman

Reaction score
I installed a Garmin 2730 combo GPS and XM radio in the space where the factrory nave would go. It fits well. I drilled a hole and routed the cables out of sight. I also mounted the XM antenna 'puck' on the rear roof.

David

luis_wilhelm

Reaction score
David, would you have pictures of your installation ? I'm trying to figure out how to install a similar or same unit and this would be great input.
Thanks,
LW

dbregman

Reaction score
There is not much to see - it fits snugley in the spot. I ran the wires down behind the radio surround and below the center console to the power and AUX input.

I can't seem to add a photo, so here is a link:

www.bregmanphotos.com/LR3

David

nwoods

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I suppose that depends on where you put them :)

A

A12LR3

David
Does the Garmin get good reception being tucked into the space where the factory unit would go? Also, was it hard fishing the wires in back of the factory radio and to the console? Thanks

dbregman

Reaction score
I have no problem with GPS reception with it in that position, without an external antenna. I did have to disable the auto dimming, as the sensor is in the back and it always thought it was night, so it was always dim.

As for the wiring, to tell the truth it was REALLY difficult to get information on this. I searched here as well as everywhere else I could to get the information, and still it was not complete. So then I just went with trial and error. I was planning on writing this up anyway, so here goes.

I wanted to add a Garmin 2730 GPS with XM. This needs 12v, audio out and a large ‘puck’ antenna on the roof (I wanted it there for looks).

I wanted it placed where the factory NAV would go with no wires showing. I got power and access to the AUX jack in the rear under the rear climate vents.

To access that open the door for the AUX jack and power socket and pull on the DOOR hard. The whole assembly will come out. I just tied my bare (soldered to harden) wire into the back of the connector going to the power jack. The cable already had an inline fuse, so it should be fine. For the AUX input I removed the connector form the plastic panel and just plugged my wires in. It seems there are two grounds, a black and blue, so I just made a jumper to go between the two.

For those who have a low volume issue, the problem is line versus headphone out. The AUX input is balanced for line input impedance, so a headphone out will always be low and possibly create a hum. My Garmin lets me choose the output so I am okay on volume. There are a lot of posts around on possible impedance boosters – search for IPOD).

Getting the cables from there to the NAV space was interesting, but easy once I figured out how to remove everything. So here goes:

I removed the auto gear knob. There is a black plastic cover on the bottom – after some coaxing I was able to slide it down (using a small flat blade screwdriver). When it is down there are two retaining clips that need to be carefully spread from the metal shaft. These stay attached; just pry it up a bit to be able to slide the knob off.

Take out the cup holder inserts and the lower rubber mat. Then remove the screw near the parking brake and the whole central console lifts up – the clips are strong. I started in the front with the cup holders. One cup holder separated from the central console, the other did not. I eventually removed them both. They clip at the bottom. To get more access I removed the connector for the parking brake as well, but left the others as it provided enough access.

There are two Philips screws at the rear of the console/front of cubby. Remove these. The two torque nuts on the cover of the cubby need to be removed and the covers over the hinge as well. The cubby then comes out – but with some work – I truly thought I was going to break it since those clips are strong! Once that is out you have a clean run from the power and AUX jack to the front area.

I also removed the surround around the radio – it just pulls off, start at the bottom. Form there I was able to drill a hole in the rear corner of the NAV space and run my wires all the way to the Power and Audio Input.

If anyone is interested in more detail, or how I ran the antenna, let me know I and can write that up as well.

DISCLAIMER:
I don’t think I have missed any steps I took. This is on a left hand drive North America ’05 SE, so it might be a little different on your model.

Cheers

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9