2006 LR3 Fuel Sending Units

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Matthewwrn

Reaction score
So I finally decided, after 2 years to purchase 2 new fuel sending units. I replaced both the front and the rear, taking all weekend and put everything back together. Unfortunately I am still having the same issue, the fuel gauge still reads empty. It blinks at you when starting and the light remains on and on E. Has anyone ever heard of a fuel sending unit replacement not correcting the problem? I am desperate, thanks!

Crosbo

Reaction score
My fuel gauge stopped working about 3 years or so ago. Having been unable to rule out the senders and after reading about the work required to remove and replace, I chose to just monitor my mpg and compare that to 20 gallons. It's worked pretty well thus far. But I'm subscribing to your post...in case some provides a possible solution to your problem. Good luck!

Matthewwrn

Reaction score
Just a quick update to my fuel gauge issue (reads empty always), in hopes that it will help someone else as I searched high and low for this info:

I finally broke down and purchased the iCarsoft LRII for Land Rover/Jaguar. It is really a great tool so far. After plugging in and reviewing data, it seems that one of the sending units was still not working. As you can see in the photo below, which is a live datastream, Fuel Sender 1 is stuck at 1,023 ohm's. Fuel sender 2 seems to be working fine and moves a bit if you rock the vehicle, as expected. Fuel Sender 1 would not move at all, sticking at 1,023 ohm.

The only issue that I could not solve was the correlation between Fuel Sender 1 & 2 and the front and rear sending units. I called my local LR dealer and they could not tell me and my local indy shop, also could not find it written anywhere. Because I had the ohm information below, I decided the best way to figure it out was connect the iCarsoft LRII, drive to the gas station, fill, and review the live datastream. After adding fuel to a full tank, Fuel Sender 2 read exactly 798 ohms.

FRONT Fuel Level Sensor Resistance/Fuel Gauge Read out Table
Sender Unit Resistance, Ohms Nominal Gauge Reading

FUEL SENDER 2

51 Empty

51 Low fuel level illumination

294 Half full

798 Full

REAR Fuel Level Sensor Resistance/Fuel Gauge Read out Table
Sender Unit Resistance, Ohms Nominal Gauge Reading

FUEL SENDER 1

75.5 Empty

120 Low fuel level illumination

280 Half full

675 Full

(Picture taken before adding fuel)

untitled.png

In conclusion, the REAR Fuel Sending Unit is Fuel Sender 1 and the FRONT Fuel Sending Unit is Fuel Sender 2. Also for my specific situation, it looks like I was sold a non-functioning Rear Sending Unit. This was actually great news for me because this is the easier one to get to. I contacted the LR dealership and they will refund me once I send the bad unit back.

Matthewwrn

Reaction score
I am posting this update because I would have killed for this information during the past few weeks.

If you recall, I received and installed both a front and rear fuel sending unit a few weeks ago and the fuel gauge was still not working. After hooking up to my diagnostic machine, it showed the rear unit not working properly so I contacted the company and they sent me a new one.

I received the replacement rear fuel sending unit and installed the other day. Hooked everything back up and still the same issue, no movement on the fuel gauge. After some forum searching, I read that the wires run up to a harness somewhere within the front, right-hand side wheel well. Here are some pictures to explain the problem all along:

Remove clips and screws from mud liner and remove liner (FYI, removing tire would have made the task easier but I had no idea where the harness was)

FSU 1.png

Look to the left hand side of wheel well, at the bottom, near the frame

FSU 3.png

There are two harnesses next to each other, the harness for the fuel tank is on the left (with red clip).

FSU 4.png

Looking further down the wires, you can see the wire protection ends and the wires are exposed to the vehicles frame

FSU 5.png

I lifted the wires off the frame and the green wire (Rear Fuel Sending Unit), was cut in half

FSU 6.png

I then spliced and re-connected the green wire and the fuel gauge FINALLY WORKS!!!!!
So after multiple fuel tank drops, fuel sending unit replacements, and a great deal of frustration, the problem has been solved!!!

Houm_WA

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...It annoys me that they can **** up stuff like that.

Mariodel1

Reaction score
Matt did your fuel gauge first work intermittently then eventually nothing?
I'm having random fuel gauge behavior it indicates the proper fuel level, then drops to empty, then repeats. I hope it's a freyed wire?!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA