2006 LR3 SE V8 does not start but runs well when it does. HELP!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tfloridalr3

Reaction score
Hello fellow Land Rover enthusiasts,

I recently bought a Land Rover LR3 for 2k. The catch however is that it is nearly impossible to start. Turning the key will cause the engine to crank continuously until it is put into the off position. (vid here) Sometimes it may start a bit and you have to rev the engine a bit in order to start it fully. Once the engine is running it is absolutely perfect, the whole car gives no problems and is a blast to drive. Does anybody know what may be causing this problem?

The old owner also claims to have received these codes with his scan tool;
P0102
P0173
P0171
P0174
U0155
U2025

tfloridalr3

Reaction score
Fuel issue maybe???

I had the same issue and it was the fuel pump relay.

I gave power to the fuel pump relay on the fuse box using an alternator, it gave me around 12Vs of power which is telling me that the fuel pump has gone bad. I also switched the relay on the fan and fuel pump and the fan spinned and the car still didn't start. Also when turning the key the vehicle does not prime which points toward the fuel pump. Any recommendations on a fuel pump?

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with Houm, go OEM, but to digress, I needed to replace my sending unit so I ordered both and decided while I was in there I would do the fuel pump. The guys across the pond replace the pump only, not the whole assembly so I ordered just the pump and the niples were the wrong size so I cobbled it together, replaced the senders and the pump, put it together and it wouldn't prime. I assumed that since I had adapted fittings I had something messed up so I ordered an aftermarket pump assembly, pulled the tank back out and reinstalled the new pump assembly. Still intermittent priming and random starting. I posted on here and other forums and tried everything I could think of to test without pulling the darn tank back out. After 4 months of maybe starting maybe not I was ready to order an OEM pump and my HVAC guy and I were talking and he said it sounded like a relay. I swapped the relay and it's started every time for about 6 months now. In retrospect I saved maybe $250 going aftermarket but the headache of suspecting the aftermarket pump and wishing I had just gotten an OEM to begin with make me think next time I will order OEM to begin with. I use 99% OEM on everything else but I had a weak moment and tride to save a few bucks. I even started to sell the truck I was so frustrated with it. I would go ahead and replace the sending units while you have the tank out.

tfloridalr3

Reaction score
I agree with Houm, go OEM, but to digress, I needed to replace my sending unit so I ordered both and decided while I was in there I would do the fuel pump. The guys across the pond replace the pump only, not the whole assembly so I ordered just the pump and the niples were the wrong size so I cobbled it together, replaced the senders and the pump, put it together and it wouldn't prime. I assumed that since I had adapted fittings I had something messed up so I ordered an aftermarket pump assembly, pulled the tank back out and reinstalled the new pump assembly. Still intermittent priming and random starting. I posted on here and other forums and tried everything I could think of to test without pulling the darn tank back out. After 4 months of maybe starting maybe not I was ready to order an OEM pump and my HVAC guy and I were talking and he said it sounded like a relay. I swapped the relay and it's started every time for about 6 months now. In retrospect I saved maybe $250 going aftermarket but the headache of suspecting the aftermarket pump and wishing I had just gotten an OEM to begin with make me think next time I will order OEM to begin with. I use 99% OEM on everything else but I had a weak moment and tride to save a few bucks. I even started to sell the truck I was so frustrated with it. I would go ahead and replace the sending units while you have the tank out.

Ok I going to replace the pump, when you had to replace yours did you have to pull the pump from the top of the car or did you have to drop the tank?

remember5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Drop the tank. That's why after doing it twice I was looking for any solution other than dropping it a third time.

LandRoverOver

Reaction score
Hey there Mate. Sounds like you have a bummed out fuel pump assay or sending unit. If you paid 2k for it, that’s about how much you’re gonna pay to fix it at the shop. Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72