2006 LR3 Towing?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

J

jeff

I want to buy a 2006 LR3 but from what I have read it does not seem to be very tow friendly vehicle, Is Land Rover addressing this issue for 2006?

Does the tow package include the round 7 pin connector mounted on the back of the vehicle?
On most tow vehicles the brake controller can be connected “Plug and Play” from what I have read it seems to be a hassle on the LR3?

any info would be appreciated
Jeff

S

srfgeek

They haven't changed the towing from what I can see. I have a July production 05 HSE w/ tow. It comes with a receiver that locks into the Rover via a proprietary mechanism. You must still buy the $85 7-pin RV (round) connector which has a 4 pin connector too and install it. It was pretty simple to install - although I had to get my wife to fasten one of the cable routing clips under the rear bumper since my hands are big. My trailer requires 18" of altitude - the base of my hitch when installed is 11" from the deck in normal height so I bought a Alumastinger 6" drop hitch, which when inverted gives me 7" of rise and I get a perfect 18". I have heard that the Rover-proprietary receiver can be stubborn to remove after towing. There is an empty spot in the bumper next to the RV connector I just installed - it may be that it is for a brake controller.

grommet

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The brake controller installs under the driver's dash section... like most every brake controller. There should be a grey plug hanging under/behind the dash to the right side of the brake pedal support bracket. (If it's not there, it's always possible it was decontented since it isn't really advertised on LR3.) If you installed the towing electrics, it's pretty much plug and go.

P

pnazz

I have pulled a snowmobile trailer with my 05 LR3 and it towed fine. With the trailer, sleds and gear, it probably weighed 4,000lbs.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carbonlink