2006 Range Rover Sport HSE 4.4L multiple misfire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Adam Wolak

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

I am having multiple mis-fires on my 2006 HSE 4.4L with 112K miles. They are coming up as cylinders 1,2,3,6,and 8.

I have just changed the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets, throttle body gasket, and the intake manifold MAP sensor housing gasket, and torqued the bolts to spec. This sounds like it may be the obvious cause but the mis-fires didn't start to happen until 10 -15 minutes of running the engine to bleed the coolant. (I also changed the water pump, thermostat, thermostat housing and belts.)

After the codes came up, I inspected and changed the spark plugs. (None of the spark plugs were wet but cylinders 2 & 6 plugs weren't the beige color like the rest but just a darker brown, see pic, plugs are arranged 1-8)

I ordered the intake gaskets from British Atlantic. The only thing I wasn't fond of is that the original gaskets had the metal tabs to hold it in place on the manifold as you got it into position. These new gaskets don't have the tabs and were a pain to keep them lined up but I thought I had done it, may be I'm wrong. If I had too much of an air leak, I would think that it wouldn't start at all and if the gaskets weren't aligned, I would be able to get the bolts in.

Clarification: I ran the truck 10-15 minutes over a two day period. I did all of the work and then ran it for a bit to bleed the coolant and brought it up to temp. I let it sit overnight and went to see if I had to bleed it any more the next morning. I started it up and a couple minutes in, the check engine light came on. I scanned it and the codes that I mentioned above came up along with the generic p0300. So right after the work was done, it ran fine even at operating temperature.

Questions:

Can one bad coil pack lead to multiple misfires?

Any easy way to test the coil packs?

Why would the mis-fires start after 10 - 15 minutes after running the engine? (Was running fine, but figure the heat from the engine may have distorted something to cause this?)

Why aren't all of the cylinders affected?

Thanks in advance. Any and all help is greatly appreciated. I have include a pic of what I call Vader.
20201127_152821.jpg
Rover.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72