Misfire cylinder 8

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Could it be valve clearance. Recently did head gaskets, could be wrong sized tappets?
Yes.
If all they did was head gaskets, there's no need to mess with the tappets.
If they fell out and were put back in the wrong spots, then you would have issues.

tvanstee

Reaction score
Yes.
If all they did was head gaskets, there's no need to mess with the tappets.
If they fell out and were put back in the wrong spots, then you would have issues.
They were spilled so not placed in the original positions. Might be the source of my misery. I'll have to open up the valve cover to check clearances.

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
They were spilled so not placed in the original positions. Might be the source of my misery. I'll have to open up the valve cover to check clearances.
Bummer.
Exhaust cam clearance is 0.25 mm ± 0.02
Inlet cam clearances doesn't have to be checked, they have hydraulic adjusters.

Last edited:

tvanstee

Reaction score
Pulled valve cover to measure valve lash and looks like we may be onto something here. Tappets were marked when removed from the engine but seem to have been put in front to back instead of back to front.
Cylinder 2 tappets have clearance of 0.5 mm while Cylinder 8 which is misfiring has no clearance. Cylinders 4 & 6 are within spec
I guess this means a bit of a teardown to repair. Will have to set up some weekend to do this job.

Attachments

• 20240320_183312.jpg
    20240320_183312.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 16

Rover Range

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Pulled valve cover to measure valve lash and looks like we may be onto something here. Tappets were marked when removed from the engine but seem to have been put in front to back instead of back to front.
Cylinder 2 tappets have clearance of 0.5 mm while Cylinder 8 which is misfiring has no clearance. Cylinders 4 & 6 are within spec
I guess this means a bit of a teardown to repair. Will have to set up some weekend to do this job.
Awesome.
The exhaust cam will have to be removed.

tvanstee

Reaction score
Pulled exhaust cam off yesterday and swapped tappets between cylinder 2 & 8. Valve lash was then back in spec and once I fired her up the misfire was gone. Seems like valve lash was my problem the whole time. This one seems solved. Thanks everyone for your help!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72