2010 LR4 Engine/Tranny Issues - Should I Fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K8Rover

Reaction score
LR4 still have a pretty good resale value as they are not as numerous on the road as the LR2, etc... I have a 2015 LR2 bought new and I have located an excellent local auto repair shop that has no problems working on my LR at affordable pricing - call around and ask if they work on LR and how much an oil change is... When the dealer charges $360 and the best local shop or mobile mechanic charges <$75 with synthetics, filter etc. you begin to understand the difference as I now avoid the dealership and its inflated prices... and, it may well be that your LR4 actually takes Ford parts (my LR2 definitely is a Ford product) which helps in keeping repair costs down.
If you love the vehicle it is worth investigating the root cause of the trans issue and whether it just needs servicing...

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Julie, mine is also a 2010 LR4 with 231,000 miles on it and I enjoy the heck out of it. It's my daily driver with 100 miles a day going onto the odometer. There was a lot of good advice given here about taking it to an independent shop for an evaluation. Some of what you hear or see may be minor. Having the service records would be great to see what maintenance and repairs have been performed and what may have been neglected.

These are great vehicles it's just what's your sensitivity level to cost of repairs when they are needed. One recommendation - change the oil more frequently then recommended. That's the life blood of the vehicle. Good luck and welcome!

TrinidadLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
At minimum, i'd do a trans fluid service and possible zip kit(at that mileage, it will probably need it). As far as engine ticking, you'd need to post a sound clip. Tons of people swear their chain tensioners are going bad but these engines are loud to begin with and the HPFPs+fan clutch make enough noise to think it's a concern. These trucks are great and very unique, not much else on the road like it.

tVentures

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2011 LR4 and 198,000 miles. One of those few that has been used to the fullest from Moab to many CO and Socal trails and pretty much stock. As a matter of fact, just put some 18" wheels and BF Goodrich tires on it recently. In a dilemma as of today though. Saw smoke out of the motor a few days ago. Turns out an oil leak from underneath the valve cover on the left side. Fine, a couple of thousand dollar job to replace seals etc., but when it came to removing injectors (which are original btw) they are just simply jammed. I go to an excellent Indy shop, but after trying for a day and a half with all sorts of tools and contraptions these injectors won't budge. Going to try some seafoam next. Big risk is if any of the injectors break, it becomes a head gasket job and that is $10k plus. Now one starts thinking gee do I spend that kind of money or try to sell it (and who will buy it with that issue, but someone who can probably work on it). While I haven't made up my mind yet, I am certainly leaning towards keeping it and biting the bullet. It has been a quality machine that has been loyal since I bought it in 2012 with 10k miles and having been a jeep owner in the past I don't know of another vehicle that I can title "overland/offroad" in luxury and comfort. Who knows, I may not be thinking this right and may be off rails here, but that is what I am leaning towards....btw if anyone has any slick ideas to get injectors out or has been through it before, please do share. I would certainly appreciate saving $10k. :)

T

ryanjl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm sure your mechanic has tried the Land Rover injector-removal tool or a tool similar to it?

johnnwalters

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now one starts thinking gee do I spend that kind of money or try to sell it
That's a decision that each of us will face at some point. I agree that I've not found any other vehicle out there that does so many things. The ride, visibility, comfort, acceleration, turning radius, space to haul people and stuff and general feeling of well being with the vehicle and knowing it's a tank when it comes to safety and can go off-roading easily. I've also looked at new vehicles and it's definitely sticker shock!

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 LR4 and 198,000 miles. One of those few that has been used to the fullest from Moab to many CO and Socal trails and pretty much stock. As a matter of fact, just put some 18" wheels and BF Goodrich tires on it recently. In a dilemma as of today though. Saw smoke out of the motor a few days ago. Turns out an oil leak from underneath the valve cover on the left side. Fine, a couple of thousand dollar job to replace seals etc., but when it came to removing injectors (which are original btw) they are just simply jammed. I go to an excellent Indy shop, but after trying for a day and a half with all sorts of tools and contraptions these injectors won't budge. Going to try some seafoam next. Big risk is if any of the injectors break, it becomes a head gasket job and that is $10k plus. Now one starts thinking gee do I spend that kind of money or try to sell it (and who will buy it with that issue, but someone who can probably work on it). While I haven't made up my mind yet, I am certainly leaning towards keeping it and biting the bullet. It has been a quality machine that has been loyal since I bought it in 2012 with 10k miles and having been a jeep owner in the past I don't know of another vehicle that I can title "overland/offroad" in luxury and comfort. Who knows, I may not be thinking this right and may be off rails here, but that is what I am leaning towards....btw if anyone has any slick ideas to get injectors out or has been through it before, please do share. I would certainly appreciate saving $10k. :)

T

when I pulled my injectors I had two stuck (used the LR pulling tool). I used a penetrating oil and let it sit a while and they came right out.

tVentures

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Yes he did try the LR tool for the injector removal (btw that tool is rather wimpy) and a few other tools as well as a few contraptions. they actually broke a few tools and bent a few pins. These injectors don't want to budge. Nevertheless, the next step is seafoam and maybe even BG44K. Keeping my fingers crossed. If either of these work, I will certainly let you know. Someone else may go through this as well.....if anything I've learnt that these injectors should be removed and cleaned much earlier, maybe around 100-120k. I would assume a lot less carbon deposit at that juncture than my mileage. We live and learn!

tVentures

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just thought I’d share my LR4

030C74F9-CE00-45B0-8C59-2DA01D7CF745.jpeg

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Guys. Yes he did try the LR tool for the injector removal (btw that tool is rather wimpy) and a few other tools as well as a few contraptions. they actually broke a few tools and bent a few pins. These injectors don't want to budge. Nevertheless, the next step is seafoam and maybe even BG44K. Keeping my fingers crossed. If either of these work, I will certainly let you know. Someone else may go through this as well.....if anything I've learnt that these injectors should be removed and cleaned much earlier, maybe around 100-120k. I would assume a lot less carbon deposit at that juncture than my mileage. We live and learn!

no joke, I tried everything except penetrating oil. This stuff really did the trick. If you still find you need them pulled, this worked in insane ways.

0A9AD27F-149D-45AA-8722-08105B9BE6D8.jpeg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA