2010 LR4 - My First Warranty Repair – 4400 Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah being a father is the greatest thing as far as I am concerned. BTW, fitting two rear facing car seats and a booster in the LR while still being able to fit myself in the front seat was impossible for me. I am 6.2 and couldn't even get into the front seat with the car seats installed. Got rid of my Lexus GS and went for a Honda Odyssey Touring Elite. drives like a tin can compared to the LR! But very useful for kids...

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hey Rob, so I measured all for corners and got 3" inches. Go figure! I also read the specs more carefully and it says 1/2", so maybe that's at access height. I'm too lazy right now to check that measurement. :)

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy! I thought 1.5" sounded really low.

I didn't have a chance to look at it last night. I can most likely look at it tonight and report back.

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Crazy! I thought 1.5" sounded really low.

I didn't have a chance to look at it last night. I can most likely look at it tonight and report back.

Rob

I should have used some good old fashioned common sense with the 1.5 inch at normal height!

Okay, so here are my readings -

Off-road Height 5"
Normal Height 3"
Access Height 1"

The .5" height calibration specs that are on the invoice from LR must be measurements taken at a particular spot, maybe an area on the air-strut or something. I'm going to ask my SA for details, I think the information could be helpful.

BTW, would you mind sharing more details about your lift kit? How does it work?

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The lift kit I got was from Sasquatch. It is basically like the Johnson Rods lift, but this one is adjustable.

There are 4 ride height sensors on the LR3, LR4 and RR Sport. They are conntected to the suspension with rods. The rod lifts are shorter than the stock rods at each corner of the truck. By shortening the rods, you fool the sensors to think the truck is sitting too low and it increases the ride height. The change is made accross the entire range of settings from access all the way to extended off-road.

Some of these lifts are set from the manufacturer such as in the Johnson Rods lift. They shorten the rods to make the system think it is sitting about 2.5" lower than stock. Other manufacturers have adjustable rods such as Toddco and Sasquatch. With the adjustable rod lifts, you can choose your desired lift from none at all up to the 2.5" mark.

I didn't want a full 2.5" of lift on my LR4. I wanted to make enough room to clear the larger size tires I want to run and that was it. I need some where between 1.25-1.5" of lift to accomplish what I want to do. With the Sasquatch rods I can adjust it to where I want it.

The tires I want to run are 1.9" larger than the stock tires on my LR4. That will increas the ground clearance 1". After I add 1.25-1.5 of lift to the LR4, it should sit about 2.5" taller. The stance on my normal mode should be about where the off-road height is. Likewise, the access mode should be about where my normal mode is.

Johnson Rods has a nice website to look at if you are interested in what it all looks like and takes to install. I don't believe Sasquatch has a website, but the owner is an active member here on the LR3 forum.

The beauty of it, for less than $200 you can lift your LR4. If you need to have it serviced or sell it or just get tired of the extra height, you can set it back in about 15-30 minutes with no special tools needed.

Rob

p-dawger

Reaction score
Interesting thread - I could have sworn our LR4 was lower in the front a few days ago....looked odd to me but just dismissed it.

I park on a hill in our driveway so when we get out it's making all kinds of hissing and leveling noises before it settles most of the time anyway.

I raised it up and then back down and it seemed to settle correctly - but I will kep an eye on it since I think something is up

thigatl

Reaction score
I wonder if I have a similar issue - I have a 2wk old '11 LR4 Lux w/vision and I could swear that a couple of times the height adjusts when I put it in park. Is this common? I think it has only happened twice and at first I just thought it was my seat moving... maybe there is some sort of leveling that occurs when parking on a hill??? It hasn't happened lately...

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine will adjust after parking if I'm not on even ground. I have heard it'll self adjust, but I'd assume that's based on grade. If it's a hill, what's the point. If it's a slight incline or something, I can understand. When I had my issue, it'd adjust "hiss like a wild snake" when parking in my garage which is completely level - after the repair, it doesn't do it anymore.

But, I would sometimes get "readjustment" "the hissing snake" at stop lights or waiting for people in front of their house - on level ground. And, sometimes, if I had the wheel turned to the far left, or far right, the front would just drop 2 inches or so. And, not rise again - so I'd get this hotrod thing.

Nonetheless, after the repair my trust seems to be acting normal again. I'd love to know more about how LR calibrates. I've read it's through the ECU. It's a very complex system and appears to be very smart. Maybe too smart.

starrover

Reaction score
Not sure, if this is directly related to this thread, but thought I'd start here first.

I have 1500 miles on my LR4. Recently, I suspended a tennis ball from the garage ceiling to use as a marker so I will know how far to pull in. I stop just when the ball brushes the hood.

Every morning (after sitting overnight) since I've done this, when I come out the ball is suspended about 1-2 inches over the hood...it's not touching the hood anymore.

Is this normal? Just doesn't seem right. I haven't noticed an obvious lower front end, like the Count did. However, I have noticed several times after I park the car a hissing sound and the entire car lowering...this is always on level ground.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

ougrad1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yea, I also get the hiss sound after getting out of the car too but thought that was normal as it's been there since I bought the truck...interesting. I'll have to ask my dealer about this.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4