2010 LR4 - My First Warranty Repair – 4400 Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure, if this is directly related to this thread, but thought I'd start here first.

I have 1500 miles on my LR4. Recently, I suspended a tennis ball from the garage ceiling to use as a marker so I will know how far to pull in. I stop just when the ball brushes the hood.

Every morning (after sitting overnight) since I've done this, when I come out the ball is suspended about 1-2 inches over the hood...it's not touching the hood anymore.

Is this normal? Just doesn't seem right. I haven't noticed an obvious lower front end, like the Count did. However, I have noticed several times after I park the car a hissing sound and the entire car lowering...this is always on level ground.

I would appreciate anyone's thoughts on this.

I think the auto leveling is totally normal... As long as it corrects after you start on your journey again. My concern was after a drop, like in the front only, it would not rise back to normal. and that ended up being a leaky strut.

Have you tried pulling out and going back in to see if the tennis ball is matching your marker or not? That would at least prove if the front isn't rising back to normal, or, if it takes a little time. The suspension is so complex (brilliant actually) and I'm sure it's working as designed, but if I knew more about how it really works and why I'd be awesome.

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it drop this much every night? That seems like a lot to self level the front. I find most of my leveling happens at the rear of the LR4 when everyone gets out. Not very often does the front level when parked in my garage.

Just Like Count said, it is normal for the truck to level itself after everything is shut off and the last door closes. It catches most people off guard the first time they hear/see it happen. I still marvel at how cool it is, even after almost a year.

Rob

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure, if this is directly related to this thread, but thought I'd start here first.

I have 1500 miles on my LR4. Recently, I suspended a tennis ball from the garage ceiling to use as a marker so I will know how far to pull in. I stop just when the ball brushes the hood.

Every morning (after sitting overnight) since I've done this, when I come out the ball is suspended about 1-2 inches over the hood...it's not touching the hood anymore.

Is this normal? Just doesn't seem right. I haven't noticed an obvious lower front end, like the Count did. However, I have noticed several times after I park the car a hissing sound and the entire car lowering...this is always on level ground.

do you have crawl mode selected when you park? Do you notice the entire vehicle is lower or only the front end. If only the front end, I would have it looked at.

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just out of curiosity, why don't you use the parking sensors to help you determine how far you can pull up in the garage? When you hear a continuous beep you have about one foot between the bumper and an object in front of the vehicle.

starrover

Reaction score
Baobay,

My 2011 HSE, non LUX model, does not have a front sensor. Something I truly miss from the LR3 I was driving for awhile. I think they removed it to justify/encourage purchasing of the surround assist camera system, which I did not choose.

So, the old fashioned way works for me now, not very high tech, but gets the job done!

- Starr

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Baobay,

My 2011 HSE, non LUX model, does not have a front sensor. Something I truly miss from the LR3 I was driving for awhile. I think they removed it to justify/encourage purchasing of the surround assist camera system, which I did not choose.

So, the old fashioned way works for me now, not very high tech, but gets the job done!

- Starr
Strange what Land Rover is doing. My 2010 HSE has the front sensors but no rear view camera. I would take the camera over the front sensors however. I am looking into putting an aftermarket rear view camera. The ones with the screen in the rear view mirror.

Finlayforprez

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 LR4 has 4400 miles on it.

I noticed about a month or so ago that the front end height seemed a bit lower than the rear, regardless of height settings. I also noticed that when either waiting at a stop light, or just waiting for someone while the car was running, the front end would suddenly drop about an inch or two and it would not rise again. And at other times the front end was just sitting oddly low, the rear a little too high, in all driving conditions. My truck was starting to look and act like a hotrod!

Nonetheless, I brought her into BMC on Friday and they found a fault which led to a leaky air strut. It was sending fault signals, and I suppose it was causing the rear to rise higher than it should be, and the front lower than it should be. And the odd dropping was the leak, telling the strut to release. The dealership ordered the part and installed it on Monday. They also had to recalibrate the suspension.

Everything is now absolutely perfect again – ride height “evenness” is all back to normal. No more hotrod! And, as always, British Motor Cars of San Francisco provided outstanding service! Hi remarks for my SA as well. They’re just the best.

BTW – if you have a detailed eye, you’ll notice some LR4s running around with a sunken front end. Whatever issue I had might be plaguing other LR4s, but maybe owners do not realize it.
Thanks, Stephen (Count)!

I have not yet had any issues with my suspension, but once in a while I do get auto-leveling after parking the car. But, so far have not seen any front end lower. I will definitely watch for this. Thanks so much for the great information on your warranty repair. I am glad to hear you liked BMC, as I may consider going there for service as it's a bit closer for me working in SSF. My other option is Redwood City (the closest) or San Jose where I bought my LR4. Hopefully I won't need to make this decision soon :)

-David.

JackMac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto-leveling of the EAS (Electronic Air Suspension) after parking is totally normal, and should be expected.

Just beware, as it may "adjust" while you have a door open and are trying to remove cargo!

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Auto-leveling of the EAS (Electronic Air Suspension) after parking is totally normal, and should be expected.

Just beware, as it may "adjust" while you have a door open and are trying to remove cargo!

I've never had it adjust while a door is open. I thought it was part of the programming that it won't adjust with a door open?

Rob

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Disco2TrailEdit4