2010 LR4 - My First Warranty Repair – 4400 Miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2010 LR4 has 4400 miles on it.

I noticed about a month or so ago that the front end height seemed a bit lower than the rear, regardless of height settings. I also noticed that when either waiting at a stop light, or just waiting for someone while the car was running, the front end would suddenly drop about an inch or two and it would not rise again. And at other times the front end was just sitting oddly low, the rear a little too high, in all driving conditions. My truck was starting to look and act like a hotrod!

Nonetheless, I brought her into BMC on Friday and they found a fault which led to a leaky air strut. It was sending fault signals, and I suppose it was causing the rear to rise higher than it should be, and the front lower than it should be. And the odd dropping was the leak, telling the strut to release. The dealership ordered the part and installed it on Monday. They also had to recalibrate the suspension.

Everything is now absolutely perfect again – ride height “evenness” is all back to normal. No more hotrod! And, as always, British Motor Cars of San Francisco provided outstanding service! Hi remarks for my SA as well. They’re just the best.

BTW – if you have a detailed eye, you’ll notice some LR4s running around with a sunken front end. Whatever issue I had might be plaguing other LR4s, but maybe owners do not realize it.

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Count,

Did you notice any difference while driving? I know when I'm in crawl mode (getting in and out of my garage" it rides fairly harsh as it is sitting on the bump stops. Did it feel funny when you drove it?

Did you notice any premature tire wear on the inside front tires? You may want to rotate them to the rear for a while to even the treat wear out.

Glad it was a quick fix and you didn't have to spend a long time without your truck!

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hi Count,

Did you notice any difference while driving? I know when I'm in crawl mode (getting in and out of my garage" it rides fairly harsh as it is sitting on the bump stops. Did it feel funny when you drove it?

Did you notice any premature tire wear on the inside front tires? You may want to rotate them to the rear for a while to even the treat wear out.

Glad it was a quick fix and you didn't have to spend a long time without your truck!

Rob

Hey Rob,

Yes, there was actually a difference in the driving feel. But not the extreme feel you get in crawl mode (which you describe perfectly), it was an almost "in between" crawl-feel if that makes sense. I could feel that the right side (which had the leak) felt a bit odd over bumps, it wasn't as smooth as when new.

As for tire wear, I didn't seen anything odd, but at the same time, this past month I wasn't driving that much either. But I bet if I kept it as is, I'd start seeing odd wear showing up sooner or later.

Also, a quick note, with the suspension at normal ride height, there should be exactly 1.5 inches of travel between the tire and wheel arch, at all four wheels, per Land Rover's specs. So if one should wonder, one can measure to be sure their suspension is calibrated properly... even if they don't have a faulty air strut. I think some LRs, RRS, RR aren't calibrated properly, I see inconsistancies in height all the time.

I'm happy I got her back quickly too... I didn't get a loaner and the rental car was a true POS. LOL.

Stephen

Last edited:

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stephen,

Good information to know. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'm going to have to check mine tonight when I leave the office. I could have sworn mine was closer to 2" when I looked at it once before. I actually ordered some Sasquatch Rods to increase the ride height on my LR4. I haven't installed them yet, as I want to go up in both wheel and tire size for a little more aggresive posture. Funds are a premium for me this year. We just returned from a 7 day cruise with the kids and now we are about 2 months away from a 14 day trip to Europe. This trip is setting me back $25k...

No new wheels/tires for me this year. I also wanted a new bike this year but that will need to be held off too.

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Stephen,

Good information to know. Thanks for sharing it with us.

I'm going to have to check mine tonight when I leave the office. I could have sworn mine was closer to 2" when I looked at it once before. I actually ordered some Sasquatch Rods to increase the ride height on my LR4. I haven't installed them yet, as I want to go up in both wheel and tire size for a little more aggresive posture. Funds are a premium for me this year. We just returned from a 7 day cruise with the kids and now we are about 2 months away from a 14 day trip to Europe. This trip is setting me back $25k...

No new wheels/tires for me this year. I also wanted a new bike this year but that will need to be held off too.

Rob

You totally have to post pics after your lift. I agree a little lift will make the LR4 look even more aggresive...

Man, that's one very expensive trip to EU! I need to take my wife and son on a trip soon, but we figured since he's only 22-months, we'll just wait until he's a little older and can remember the experience more. I'd actually love to take a trip to Asia, I've never been there. We'll see, inflation is gripping right now. Just gripping.

Anyway, I'll try and scan the specs that are on the invoice from LR and post them tomorrow. I also felt that 1.5 seemed a bit lower than it looks, or how I'd measure, but at the same time, they must have a sepcial tool that pin-points exactly from the very top of the tire, to the very lowest point at the arch. How did you measure your travel?

Last edited:

baobay

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Count,
Great Info. as usual!!! I will check this out this afternoon.
Speaking of trips. We went to Atlantis a few months ago and had an awesome time. Our daughter who is 5 LOVED it. They have great deals in the Off season. Off season is between Sept and thanksgiving. Just had twins (boy and girl) and am planning on going there as soon as they turn 3.

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you have three teenagers, everything costs a lot. Bascially, going out to dinner is cost prohibative. Still, my wife and I wanted to make sure the kids saw more of the world than we did as kids. My wife and I came from fairly humble beginnings. Since we live in Nebraska, we have to travel to see anything interesting. We have taken the kids to Colorado for a week, Moab many times, California for a week, Seatle for a week and they have been on three cruises in the last 24 months. They have been to Belize, Honduras, Grand Cayman, Mexico and the Bahamas. My parents took us to Kansas City when I was a kid... My kids are spoiled in comparison. This trip to europe is maybe our last big vacation with them. Next year I will have a senior, junior and sophmor. Once they start leaving for college the fun may stop for all of us. My son wants to go to MIT. Ouch!

I took a piece of wood off the top of the rear tire and made sure it was level and then messured from the bottom of the wood to the lowest part of the wheel opening. Not entirely scentific, but it worked.

Pics will be posted when I can get the lift installed. I will have to get an alignment when it is lifted. I'm not sure I can handle another trip to the dealer right now.

Rob

crewcabrob

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Count,
Speaking of trips. We went to Atlantis a few months ago and had an awesome time. Our daughter who is 5 LOVED it. They have great deals in the Off season. Off season is between Sept and thanksgiving. Just had twins (boy and girl) and am planning on going there as soon as they turn 3.

We have been to Nassau a couple fo times and seen Atlantis in the distance. Never been over to Paradise Island, but it may be our trip next year. I'm interested in Alaska for our next cruise, but none of the kids are excited about it.

I would love to see China. The Pyramids in Egypt would be cool too. There are so many places I would love to go. There are a lot of places in the states I want to see too. Never been to Yellowstore or Yosimite. Parts of the south sound interesting, others don't. Maybe when I have more money than sense I can see it all.

Rob

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks Count,

I've always wanted to go there! Wow, twins, boy and girl, congrats! Isn't being a dad the greatest thing in the world? I think I have to convince my wife for a second child. I just love Fatherhood too much.

Atlantis does sound fun. :cool:

Count Laszlo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We have been to Nassau a couple fo times and seen Atlantis in the distance. Never been over to Paradise Island, but it may be our trip next year. I'm interested in Alaska for our next cruise, but none of the kids are excited about it.

I would love to see China. The Pyramids in Egypt would be cool too. There are so many places I would love to go. There are a lot of places in the states I want to see too. Never been to Yellowstore or Yosimite. Parts of the south sound interesting, others don't. Maybe when I have more money than sense I can see it all.

Rob

My dream vacation is to take two-weeks off and travel across the US and photo document my trip. I love photojournalism and do a little photography and would love to capture the essence of this country - all the great small towns... the core of America. There's also something about the Great Plains in the summer that appeals to me... maybe I was a farmer in my past life or something... I just can't pinpoint my obsession with it. Sometimes I take day trips out to central California and just marvel at all the flat farmland, the smell of the air is so organic... it's just amazing. I think when my son is old enough and if he takes an interest in photography it'll be a trip in the LR for sure.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM