2011 LR4 Metropolis - DIY service at 80k

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Guys,

Spent Saturday under the LR4 at my track garage... Completed the following:
*Rotor replacement (all 4 wheels)
*Brake Pad replacement (all 4 wheels)
*E-Brake adjustment
*Brake Fluid Bleed
*Oil Change
*Filter Change

First off, I downloaded "Botsy's Brake Bible" for the LR3 in PDF and had it printed in color & bound at the local FedEx Office.... Let me double underline that the detail in that document is unbelievable, and the LR3 & LR4 are 95% similar when it comes to the brakes.

Also wanted to point out that my ORIGINAL ROTORS made it to 80,000 miles and the fronts measured in at 18.11mm, and the rears at 17.05mm. Still within tolerance! This is my second complete set of brake pads - and I have been getting 40,000 miles out of each set for all four wheels.

This time, rather than go with Land Rover Factory pads & rotors - I went aftermarket. F&R Rotors cost me $335 (inlc. shipping) at British Pacific, and I went with Delphi OEM F&R brake pads which cost $125.02 (incl. shipping) at Auto Parts Network. The secret to squealing pads & rotors is brake cleaner. Picked up a can at O'Reilly's for $4 and sprayed both sides of the rotors before install... Works like a charm.

Guys - do yourself a favor and take on these DIY projects. Why not save SIGNIFICANT money - and have the satisfaction that it was done right?

Pictures to come...

-B ;)

Last edited:

Izzyandsue

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That sounds excellent, good job. Question, did you do a brake fluid flush or just a bleed? I have a Motive bleeder, so flush is doable. Just don't know of any issues with LR ABS if pushing fluid down with pressure.
By the way, engine air filter change too?

94speedster

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just a bleed using my Motive Bleeder... Great point regarding the ABS - I'm not sure. I did not change the engine air filter this time...

-B

youngblood

Reaction score
Agreed! Working on these trucks is not that hard folks. I just got a quote for almost $800 for brake pad change all around. Seriously? I told the service rep 'no thanks I'll do it myself' as I just can't get screwed and smile about it. Not in my nature!

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TeriM