2011 LR4 - Parking Brake Won't Engage

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jlach993

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I use my parking brake out of habit each time i parked my truck, especially when on an incline in neutral, then letting the truck slide back on the parking brake, then put it into park. I've been doing this for over 80k miles. It's deff overkill and not needed for 80% of the time, but it's something i always do. I have a 2011MY by the way.

toddjb122

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Related to parking brake use:
I've actually had a trusted Land Rover mechanic/friend of mine tell me that I should not use the parking brake any more than absolutely necessary. He said that because of the design and the expense of fixing it, it's just not worth it....
My LR3 Parking Brake finally failed (or worked VERY intermittently) and I got the same feedback as you... possibly from the same guy. ;)
So yeah, I didn't get it fixed before selling it. The parking brake module is kinda troublesome, over-engineered and overpriced.

In my case, it started behaving erratically before failure. I think it would get louder and would also stick quite a bit more on release. So, if you do use it and it starts behaving differently. Just stop using it... unless necessary. Save it for those times.

afour_98

Reaction score
Related to parking brake use:

I've actually had a trusted Land Rover mechanic/friend of mine tell me that I should not use the parking brake any more than absolutely necessary. He said that because of the design and the expense of fixing it, it's just not worth it.

I'm on my 3rd Rover product and have always routinely set the brake when I park, whether I'm on a grade or on perfectly flat ground. Is this what most of you do? I've never had a problem with a Land Rover EPB.

2010 LR4 w/225k miles on her. I heard the same advice from a rover mechanic and stopped setting the EPB at about 50k. Hasn't been a problem.

I also don't bed the PB pads when I do rear rotors, since they don't get used. I just crank the adjustment wheel back enough so they don't engage (I think it's 12 clicks, but check Bodsy's for sure).

afour_98

Reaction score
Chain guides done on the 225K girl?

Always looking for more data points.

No, not yet - maybe we got lucky. Oil changes done at 5-7k intervals.

However we did have to recently replace all injectors and both HPFPs - running rich, leaking into the block. Now the engine runs like new.

Also, crossover pipe and water pump(s), hoses, thermo, etc. all replaced over the life. LCAs too, of course.

We love this truck.

avslash

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No, not yet - maybe we got lucky. Oil changes done at 5-7k intervals.

However we did have to recently replace all injectors and both HPFPs - running rich, leaking into the block. Now the engine runs like new.

Also, crossover pipe and water pump(s), hoses, thermo, etc. all replaced over the life. LCAs too, of course.

We love this truck.

Thanks.

Knock on wood, still on my originals, as well.

Pumps and injectors seem reasonable at 225K, and the other items are basically maintenance on these.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA