2011 LR4 Pricing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agreed that the report above sucks. I'd pay for a full CarFax (not the Experian Autocheck which seems lame) as well as look up the dealer it was serviced at and if it's close by, go in and ask the for the full service records (they don't have to give them to you and they will need to redact the prior owner's name but sometimes they'll do it.)

Without a detailed service history I would not touch a vehicle (particularly an LR4) for any price.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Seabassjfr

Reaction score
I cant thank enough for all your comments on this thread, everyones passion to the Landies is something i can relate to when I get into something im truly interested in...

Aside from that, here is the Carfax Report with mantainance records, Please jump in i know you guys have more knowledge in the matter...Looking forward to hear your feedback.

I Def want to be part of this community, but i know i have to take it step by step... :)

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.50.53 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.51.04 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.51.18 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.51.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-09-28 at 9.51.35 AM.png

Troy A

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@Seabassjfr, I have a 2013 LR4 5.0 HSE - very similar. I purchased mine with 72,000 miles on it last year for $22K. I did an Autotrader search for 2010-2012 LR4s starting in Seattle but had to widen it to "any distance away" so it looks like these are all 2000 miles from you but it seems in the ballpark that the 150,000 mile ones are around $11-12K.

The service history also looks pretty good - they did the major services (30/60/90/120) all within 1-3K miles of the service date.

So...two owners, roughly $20K/yr, almost complete service history at LR dealers - that's pretty good. The service that concerns me is that 135K major rebuild - I'd want to know what happened there. That looks like a major service (timing belt tensioner, gaskets, seals, valve adjustments, valve guides, head?) - If done well...that's probably a good thing.

I'd go to the dealer that did all the major servicing for customer #1 and see if they'll give you the service records in full detail. But otherwise, seems like a potentially good find.

Also if you can, get it inspected by a really good independent mechanic who knows Land Rovers specifically.

If you do purchase it, as has been discussed to death on this forum elsewhere, I'd budget $1500 to immediately do the coolant crossover pipes (front and rear) and maybe the water pump while you're in there and complete fluid swap. Then get it on a 7500 mile engine oil change regimen and maybe consider sending the oil into Blackstone Labs https://www.blackstone-labs.com to see what is going on in the engine and keep an eye on things.

Let us know how it goes. I love my 2013 with the V8!

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
two things that stand out to me on that report.

the good: there was a major failure at 135k miles. seems most likely it was due to timing chain guide failure. at least you wont have to worry about it.
the bad: it only had the oil changed every 15k miles, for its entire life.

besides that, the AC system may have a minor issue. it was serviced (charged) at 135k, and then needed servicing again at 166k, 2.5 years later. Im a believer that AC system should never need charging unless there is a leak. then again, a refill needed every 2.5 years may be worth the money VS cost of repair.

if i was looking at that truck, Id offer $9.5-10k. mileage being a negotiating point. and remind the seller mods don't add value.

replace the coolant crossover pipes (front and rear) ASAP.

double check the services that were done to see when the spark plugs, transfer case, diff, fluids were replaced. maybe replace them anyway so you star with a clean slate.

Last edited:

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow..... major incident due to the chain being out of time. looks like they fixed it all properly since it did 20k after that, but I'd be curious to see what the marks on the pistons look like from hitting the cylinder heads and valves.

Seabassjfr

Reaction score
So i contacted the owner of the Service Dealer who made the 135K Major service and this was his answer.

===
I knew the vehicle, and the owner very well at one time in the past. At that visit, the vehicle was torn apart due to intake valves that were stuck open from carbon build-up on the back side of them. We performed the repairs and the vehicle ran wonderfully. Fast forward to almost 2.5 years later and the vehicle developed a misfire on cylinder #2. The vehicle had developed a combustion leak, where coolant was leaking into that particular cylinder and the owner decided to sell the vehicle to cut his losses. Another gentleman called quite some time ago and inquired about it, as he had ended up with the vehicle through one way or another. I explained to him at that time the same things that I've listed to you here. As to what has happened to the vehicle since then, I am unsure of.any repairs that have been done to the vehicle since our diagnosis. Thank you for your email and time.
====

What do you guys think of this?

Thank you!!!!

gsxr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So... was the coolant leak into cyl #2 ever fixed? May be worth paying for a PPI at the dealer or indy shop. And hope someone didn't just put a bottle of stop-leak in to dump the truck, and engine problem, on someone else.

Also, a second owner calling "quite some time ago" does not align with the CarFax reported ownership history.

EDIT: I see now it was sold in May 2019 with the combustion leak, and the dealer who bought it just titled it in the past month. I'd still be concerned about the potential engine problem the shop described, if there's no proof of it being fixed properly.

o_O

DaytonaRS7

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so the repairs at 135k miles/sept 2017 fixed the car for 2.5 years. march of 2020 Cylinder 2 has a misfire and coolant leak? with no carfax record of a repair?

i agree with gsxr. the timeline of the current owners "story" and the service dealer don't coordinate.

either run.
or
show the seller the email from the dealer. ask the seller for the receipts of the cyl 2 fix. if he has them, great. if he cant produce them, walk away.

EDIT:

im really trying to make sense out of the timeline, but it just doesnt work.

the best i can get is
1. major repair 9/17
2. coolant problem noticed on 12/18....coolant system serviced.
3. coolant issue must have been investigated further after 12/18 and determined the cylinder leak problem.
4. owner 1 sells almost immediately. 5/19
5. private dealer gets car in 7/19.

so either the cylinder coolant leak issue has been fixed with no carfax indication, or the private dealer polishes a **** with new wheels/tires and lift rods in an attempt to sell.

im just a a little confused how a car with a coolant issue and misfire is still functioning for 1.5 years like that. it makes me want to believe it was fixed?

Last edited:

Seabassjfr

Reaction score
@gsxr So what im getting is that the current owner is the second owner, who is a dealer and has had it since for daily drive, recently made the title transfer.

Current owner previous reply
///
We’ve had it for a few years but wasn’t transferred until last month. I’m a dealer and have my dealers license here so they can stay in my inventory for as long as I want and I decide to make it my daily driver so I transferred it so I can I sure it under gieco and not my bond. The work, lift tires and rims were put on by me. No rust in California and none rust vehicle. This vehicle has one owner before I purchased it and it was a daily driver with no off road sessions.
////

Should i start looking for an option B or take the time to ask the current owner about the situation of the Cyl #2?

just read your reply @DaytonaRS7 ...Thanks will be asking

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

• joey
    Custom Rover Accessories

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OnoA