2011 LR4 Transmission TCM failure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 LR4 L319 with 101K miles rather suddenly started throwing a general transmission failure when shifting from D to N, R, or P. GAP IID tool shows "general electrical failure" of the transmission control module (TCM). Investigation by local mechanic concluded an electronics problem in the (TCM), but they didn't want to go further because in this particular vehicle the TCM must be programmed to the vehicle.

The nearest dealer is Salt Lake City, 400 miles away...so I took it down there and they concluded that it is the reverse/neutral switch. Unfortunately, this switch doesn't seem to be available from ZF. So, the options are rebuilt TCM for ~$3K plus labor, rebuilt transmission for ~$4500 plus labor, or somehow get my hands on that switch (assembly) and put it in there myself (or have a local mechanic do it).

Anybody else have this? Searching forums I couldn't quite find a similar problem. Maybe the answer would be to get a TCM from a junk yard and pull those switches...

Quijote

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe this is too simplistic, but can you not find a junk/used transmission that still has a good switch and cannibalize the switch?

scott schmerge

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2011 LR4 L319 with 101K miles rather suddenly started throwing a general transmission failure when shifting from D to N, R, or P. GAP IID tool shows "general electrical failure" of the transmission control module (TCM). Investigation by local mechanic concluded an electronics problem in the (TCM), but they didn't want to go further because in this particular vehicle the TCM must be programmed to the vehicle.

The nearest dealer is Salt Lake City, 400 miles away...so I took it down there and they concluded that it is the reverse/neutral switch. Unfortunately, this switch doesn't seem to be available from ZF. So, the options are rebuilt TCM for ~$3K plus labor, rebuilt transmission for ~$4500 plus labor, or somehow get my hands on that switch (assembly) and put it in there myself (or have a local mechanic do it).

Anybody else have this? Searching forums I couldn't quite find a similar problem. Maybe the answer would be to get a TCM from a junk yard and pull those switches...

So the good news is the tcm is replaceable and I didn’t have to reprogram the one from a donor lr4 transmission I just put in. I do have one from my old transmission that was fully functional. I put in a new transmission due to a torque converter failure. Pm me if you want it. I’ll sell it to you for a good deal

Have you tried reflashing your tcm with Gap tool prior to replacing? Might just need an update. I’d try that before going for a replacement.

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fixed! Only cost me $100 for the electronics out of a junk transmission and about 5 hours of time…plus shampoo to get the transmission fluid out of my hair.

According to ZF-USA the ribbon cable from the Hall-Effect sensor cracks and was almost certainly the roof cause of my problem.

2.5 years later mine is still working perfect

Jose Aguilar

Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am sure my problem can be fixed, but I am stuck about my next move. I am considering removing the part myself and send it for repair with an expert company located in Bulgaria. This process takes from three to four weeks. The cost is +/-500. But, after reading your comments I am wondering if your solution is better.

I have two questions, hope you can answer them: a) did you removed the part yourself? I am asking because this process entails a difficult work, removing and replacing parts and the transmission liquids; b) did you had to reprogram the acquired part?

Thanks

BznLR4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply. I am sure my problem can be fixed, but I am stuck about my next move. I am considering removing the part myself and send it for repair with an expert company located in Bulgaria. This process takes from three to four weeks. The cost is +/-500. But, after reading your comments I am wondering if your solution is better.

I have two questions, hope you can answer them: a) did you removed the part yourself? I am asking because this process entails a difficult work, removing and replacing parts and the transmission liquids; b) did you had to reprogram the acquired part?

Thanks
I did all of the work myself. It isn't difficult, just time consuming. You need to be comfortable working under a vehicle, have a good torque wrench, and be able to properly remove and reinstall the drain pad and TCM. There are good TCM instructions online, pay particular attention to the tightening pattern and torque settings. I just swapped the salvage computer into my TCM and put it back together and it worked.

Take time to watch the AB video for removing the drain pan.

Beware that the wire harness sleeve can be a real ***** to remove. I did the same job on 2013 RRS (same engine and transmission as LR4) and ended up having to abandon replacing the sleeve - the plastic was welded in place and I risked making a far worse mess if I kept banging on it.

There is no programming to be done, except for resetting the transmission using GAAP IID tool (which actually is probably not necessary). According to ZF, the TCM is factory programmed for the vehicle (make/model/version, NOT unique VIN). Once programmed it CANNOT be reprogrammed...so either it is the correct version for your vehicle or it isn't - no "reprogramming" can be done (according to ZF-USA service engineer).

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dandavies9