2011 Range Rover Upgraded Sound System Electrical Problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jasdip

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I purchased a brand new 2011 Range Rover Supercharged (full size) in April 2011. I got the Logic 7 Hi-Fi (1200 watt, 19 Speaker sound system) option installed with the vehicle. Since day one, I noticed if I turn the sound volume up to a high volume and
turn multiple accessories on (or even every accessory off and only the heated windshield on), the sound starts clipping out. I then did some testing and learned that even when the volume is as low as about 70%-80%, the sound still clips out*. The dealership mechanic did some electrical draw tests with the truck started and learned that the sound is clipping out when the voltage drops below 12V; however, they are refusing to fix the problem because apparently other vehicles of the same year and sound system do the same thing. At first we thought it was a safety feature where the amp was clipping out to prevent damage but when the dealership trickle charged the battery to 100% charge, the sound did not clip out. If the truck even sat idle overnight after the trickle charge, the sound would clip out again the next day. I was told the vehicle is operating as designed and they will not do anything to try to fix it. I'm a person who loves sounds systems and I often listen to loud music, I think it's kind of ridiculous that this is considered to be normal and that Land Rover will do nothing. My 2009 Range Rover Supercharged had the upgraded sound system as well (different system with less speakers); however, the sound did not clip out on that even at 100% volume (I understand that that vehicle is quite different). My sound system guy I deal with suggested that the alternator may be too weak and a modified or aftermarket alternator should solve the problem (possibly paired with a deep cycle battery); however, then I run into issues with my warranties being void if something electrical related goes wrong. Customer relations basically told me that they won't do anything unless multiple complaints for the same problem come in. I understand that most people probably wouldn't even realize this problem exists under normal conditions. Does anyone have any input or suggestions on what I can do about this or what I can say to Land Rover? Does anyone have the same vehicle and can maybe see if they have the same problem?

*I calculated that value by counting how many steering wheel button clicks it takes to get from full volume down to zero volume, then started at full volume and click the button down until the clipping stopped and with simple math, calculated that value (I even verified the clipping wasn't only going from full volume downward but even from low volume and raising it to the clipping point).

Thanks for your time!

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
First welcome to the forum... second the alternator isn't the issue sadly, it is the computer that controls the Alternator. If I were to take a guess I would say that if your battery isn't running at 12.50 or above you have something pulling down the battery. The alternator will charge or should charge around 13.50ish.

Jasdip

Reaction score
Hey Joey, thanks for your response. You're right, the battery doesn't stay above 12V.. when the sound system is turned up and some accessories (or even just the heated windshield) are on, it drops down to 11 something.. that is the information I got from the dealership.. Should the voltage always remain above 12V? What do you think I should say/do since they're telling me that all the trucks are doing the same thing?

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
A good battery should always be above 12.50 volts on any given day no matter what accessories are running or it isn't getting charged correctly. I would push back or at least ask to speak to the regional land rover tech or if in the USA call Land Rover NA, if not in the USA try to get a hold of the regional or nation Land Rover rep.

Jasdip

Reaction score
What ever or where ever the problem is, it shouldn't be dropping under 12V and causing components (like my stereo) to clip out right? Do you guys think they can or should be able to get away with saying other trucks do it of the same year/model so it is "as designed" and brush me off??

Land Rover North America services Canada as well and I have been in touch with a rep there who is also telling me it is operating "as designed", when I asked to speak with the regional manager, they said he does not speak to consumers directly!

One thing I should mention is, although the dealership keeps saying it's not related to the electrical system as I suggested, I keep getting the blind spot monitoring sensor blocked fault popping up intermittantly and also keep having signal loss intermittantly on my left and right side 360 degree cameras (I used to on the back camera but haven't since they replaced the camera but it has only been a couple weeks). They also replaced my air compressor a couple weeks ago because it had a problem but I haven't had the suspension message pop up since they replaced it. Do you think the blind spot and camera fault codes can be caused by the electrical system?

I keep hitting a wall and they're refusing to do anything unless they get complaints from more people, I was hoping more people can verify this problem and call in as well

Last edited:

joey

Custom Rover Accessories
Staff member
Reaction score
I would say any electrical issues you are having are related to the under 12 volts. I don't know of any modern Vehicle electrics that don't have issues when under 12 volts, unless it is made with the intention of having a power induced failure. Sounds like crap to me.

Jasdip

Reaction score
I picked up my truck today after three days at the dealership and they did not even address the sound system issue.. they took the information down again (pretty much copied the complaint from the last time I was in) and it seemed as if they would actually do something this time (it was in for other things as well such is blind spot sensor blocked fault, left and right cameras losing signal, squealing brakes, right side tailgate strut rusting, front suspension sqeaking).. I even provided the manager a print out of some of the suggestions from this forum that were given.. turns out when I called today, the manager told me I wasted my time on here because they didn't even tell me it was dropping under 12V.. that is a straight out lie because they told me that they put a meter to it and it was going down to 11 something volts while started and under load.. they totally backed out from even telling me that and since it wasn't in writing, there's nothing I can do about it.. I told them I didn't just dream up that it was dropping under 12V.. of course customer relations is listening to whatever the dealership says.. total bull****.. this is Land Rover of Richmond that i'm going to by the way.. located in British Columbia, Canada.

I guess i'm going to have to try the voltage tests on my own and see what happens.. i don't really have many options at this point..

Mouse

Reaction score
I was just about to call the dealership to make an appt to bring my truck in for this reason. I have a 2012 Range Rover HSE LUX. I bought it less than 2 months ago. The radio will go in and out and when you change stations the music will play for 2 seconds and go out for about 5 seconds and then start again. It doesn't happen all the time though.

Jasdip

Reaction score
Hi Mouse,

They pretty much refused to fix the problem.. they said it would be further investigated if enough people complain about it, that's what customer relations said.. I still have the problem.. yours sounds to be a little different.. mine doesn't cut out for 5 seconds straight, it usually clips out at the higher volumes like a cd is skipping type of thing (of course it doesn't happen only with cd's).. is yours doing this at high volumes? Does it do it with all the inputs or just radio? If you're interested, someone did suggest an aftermarket fix to me.. I haven't had time to take my truck to my audio guy to have it done yet but I will be doing it soon.. maybe you might want to try that.. it'll be easier explained verbally..

Mouse

Reaction score
Jasdip, thanks for your reply. My radio has sounded like a skipping cd also. However, the problem of the sound coming in and out happens more. I don't have any problems when using my ipod. I don't use the ipod connector that came with the truck because the cord is too short and it kept coming unplugged. I didn't notice the volume but I asked my son and he said it only happens when the volume is up loud. I will give the dealership a try and if they won't help me, I would be interested in your aftermarket fix. Other than this issue, how do you like your truck? This is my 3rd Range Rover. Before that I had the LR3. Thank you for your help.

Latest posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
helge