Alternative sound system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The factory 17 speaker 825W harmon/kardon is fine, but I picked up a portable speaker to try out. It has USB and Bluetooth connections so I've been using my phone to send music to it. Its surprisingly strong, much deeper bass than factory. It vibrates the chest and entire body when the bass hits. It goes down to 20 hertz.

The view looking back at it with the cover on it so it isn't so obvious and the cargo net is gentle enough to avoid abrasions but strong enough to keep it in place:

3q0tAVM.jpg

Rear side with the port on the side. It has a battery to power itself and it has splash resistant covers
9u6y8F8.jpg

Blasting music outside. While working in and around it I can play music w/out draining the car battery. It will be great for camping.

2StlNBw.jpg

Nechaken

Full Access Member
Reaction score
LOL - Didn't know they came in that size. When I saw "bluetooth speaker" I was expecting to see the water-bottle size JBL Flip!

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ha-ha. It weighs 42 pounds and has two 6.5" woofers and 2 2.5" tweeters.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If bass is strictly what your looking for then I would throw a sub in there. I run a JL ACP110LG-TW1, it’s a 400 watt 10 inch sub with a ported enclosure powered by a built in class D amplifier. It sounds great because of the LR4s boxy design and will shake my seat if I crank the knobs. Also allows me to turn down the factory sub a ton to reserve wattage for the high side of the system meaning that I can play my music really loud, windows down with no distortion. It was more than enough for my needs, I have the sub volume turned all down and the factory one turned mostly down. If I need more base I simply turn the factory one up and it automatically turns up the aftermarket one. Easily one of my best modifications.

I also did deaden all doors and the factory tailgate where the stock sun is which helped a lot with sound quality on the normal system. Here are some photos of the sub, I can link you the write up I did if you want to see the door deadening I did.

Only down side is that I couldn’t use one of my 3 row seats but in my case I never used the 3rd row in the last 5-6 years so it was fine for me.

Attachments

• IMG_7681.png
    IMG_7681.png
    481.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_7683.png
    IMG_7683.png
    461.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7684.png
    IMG_7684.png
    577 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_7685.png
    IMG_7685.png
    542.5 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That JL is sweet. How are you giving it signal?

The JBL Partybox 310 that I have was actually something I won at work by participating in an employee survey and I was automatically entered into a raffle. I can't really exercise it in my apartment so I brought it out to the LR4 and was surprised by the bass. The JL ACP110LG-TW1 would be a better fit and would probably offer even more bass.

I'm liking the Android Poweramp app so now I want an Android unit but the reality is stock is enough for what I need. I may plug-in a car PC through the AUX connection or bluetooth but that is about it. The HU replacements either get rid of the clock or aren't that great. The JL would be good but I'm pretty sure that I won't have space for either the JL or JBL and I'll want to store gear in its place.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That JL is sweet. How are you giving it signal?

The JBL Partybox 310 that I have was actually something I won at work by participating in an employee survey and I was automatically entered into a raffle. I can't really exercise it in my apartment so I brought it out to the LR4 and was surprised by the bass. The JL ACP110LG-TW1 would be a better fit and would probably offer even more bass.

I'm liking the Android Poweramp app so now I want an Android unit but the reality is stock is enough for what I need. I may plug-in a car PC through the AUX connection or bluetooth but that is about it. The HU replacements either get rid of the clock or aren't that great. The JL would be good but I'm pretty sure that I won't have space for either the JL or JBL and I'll want to store gear in its place.

It gets input from the factory sub wires and since the factory sub is in the tailgate the wires are all right there so it was super simple and can be hidden behind the plastic paneling in the rear, unfortunately like you stated you do lose cargo space that you may need for big adventures. You could always unscrew it from the carpet to have that room again but then you get no sub so it kinda defeats the purpose.

There was another member on this form that built their own enclosure into the side of his vehicle so he didn’t lose cargo room, let me see if I can find you the thread where he showed photos of it.

As for the sub it’s badass. Sounds great, the bass is super low and clear. My cargo situation was also aided by my roof rack so it made a bit more sense for my build.

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here’s a link to what I was talking about but unfortunately it doesn’t look like your getting much more space than what I have, it’s just cleaner than my set up.

You should see the photos on the first page of the thread at the bottom

powershift

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It gets input from the factory sub wires and since the factory sub is in the tailgate the wires are all right there so it was super simple and can be hidden behind the plastic paneling in the rear, unfortunately like you stated you do lose cargo space that you may need for big adventures. You could always unscrew it from the carpet to have that room again but then you get no sub so it kinda defeats the purpose.

There was another member on this form that built their own enclosure into the side of his vehicle so he didn’t lose cargo room, let me see if I can find you the thread where he showed photos of it.

As for the sub it’s badass. Sounds great, the bass is super low and clear. My cargo situation was also aided by my roof rack so it made a bit more sense for my build.

The JL is temping, I keep thinking about getting it and maybe put a screen over the woofer, much like a fan screen, so it doesn't get damaged from cargo. Did you think about adding an amp and then upgrading the subwoofer in the factory location?

Jimmy Brooks

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The JL is temping, I keep thinking about getting it and maybe put a screen over the woofer, much like a fan screen, so it doesn't get damaged from cargo. Did you think about adding an amp and then upgrading the subwoofer in the factory location?

Thought about it but then you go through the process of trying to make that tailgate quiet and not rattle and it just seemed like the box was less of a headache. But it’s definitely possible and by all means and I’m not against the idea of you doing it. Here’s a thread of another member who did this a while back

I think this was it but it was years ago that I read this

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
washburn72